Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number: 5KX18PA#ABJ

Windows: 10 (64-bit)

Version: 2004

OS Build: 19041.329

Hi,

The HDMI port on my spectre fails to function properly. The external monitor is detected and confirmed through the NVIDIA Control Panel. But there is no output displayed. Neither can I hear any audio. 

After some tinkering with the resolution via the NVIDIA control panel I can get it to display for a short time but the image is distorted with green lines flickering on the external monitor. 

I have tried:

• Using 3 different HDMI cables
  • Using 3 different monitors (two being LCD TVs)
  • Reinstalling windows (twice)
  • Reinstalling display drivers (countless number of times)
  • Updating BIOS and drivers to the latest available available here 
  • Following different tutorials as here and here 
  • Static discharging (Using Power + F6 key; this however did fix the left speaker that stopped functioning properly)
  • Running hardware test (no anomaly reported)
  • Adjusting scale and resolution
  • Disabling and enabling graphics card (someone suggested)

I think its wise to mention that using an HDMI to VGA converter I was able to get the external monitors working but no luck using HDMI directly. Also I am pretty sure that HDMI output was working properly as of version 1803. I can't downgrade to confirm this now since I would risk losing all my data..

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Tayyab [Personal Information Removed]

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@tayyabrashid_tr

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, If you connected the monitor or TV after the graphics software was opened, close the software and open it again. Most software does not recognize a display added or attached after the software is opened.

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also refer to article: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04641829 Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer (Windows 10, 😎

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I tried all the steps you mentioned, followed the article you linked but no luck sadly... 

There is still no output on the external monitor connected via HDMI (tried 3 different cables with 3 different monitors). The monitor does get detected however but nothing is displayed. 

Further tinkering around with the refresh rate and the resolution in NVIDIA control panel kind of fixes it for the time being. However, the image/display output is blurred. I get a feeling that maybe NVIDIA or windows is failing to set the resolution and the refresh rate automatically. I have to go through different resolutions and try different refresh rates for the issue to get somewhat resolved. Its extremely annoying especially since I have to connect this laptop to projectors in staff meetings every so often..

Is there any way I could check if maybe this is a hardware issue and not something related to software.. Then again using a HDMI to VGA adapter makes the display work just fine. Right now I am out of options or steps to follow..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@tayyabrashid_tr

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back in time had exams to sort out. 

Anyways, yes, I tried all of what you mentioned. Using the cloud recovery tool, reset it to factory settings but no luck. Then I went back to the windows version which I knew it worked on i.e. 1809. Funnily enough it didn't work. So after numerous updates now I am back to where I started i.e. version 2004.

After all this I was sure that it must be a hardware problem but still ordered 3 new HDMI cables. Surprisingly one cable out of the three worked! Now I don't know how its different from the other two but it works and it works each time I connect!

So now I am thankful for it working and confused at the same time that as to why only one cable worked out of the 6 (including the previous cables) I tested with. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.