Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 15"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since 2 days my external displays no longer work on my USB C dock(s), I have 2 different docks, one at home and one at work and when I connect, the laptop does not recognize any display anymore, everything worked fine until 2 days ago on both docks. I have 2 monitors connected, a mouse, keyboard, network cable, webcam, and a HP USB-C power adapter.

When I got home and connected the displays were not recognized, tried to switch between views, did a reset on my laptop (30 seconds power button), but nothing seems to help. All devices connected work and the laptop charges through the docks, but neither of the displays work. Also tried connecting just one, but doesn't work either. Connected the dock to another laptop, all works fine, connected one of the monitors directly to the HDMI port, works fine. Any help would be appreciated, Working on only 1 display now connected to the HDMI and it sucks....

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Check the following forum issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-USB-C-Dock-G5-not-detecting-monito...

No solution yet, but hopefully HP will respond.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem.  This worked for me ...

I saw a post on another forum about uninstalling NVidia Software.  I did that from Settings > Apps.  Uninstalled everything that said NVidia on it.  I noticed that one of them was NVidia Graphics Driver installed on 1st Sep (correct timing for this problem starting), version 451.67.

After uninstalling of this, restarting laptop and reconnecting USB-C HDMI adapter, all is fine.

Looks like NVidia are to blame ...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for info, but your solution did not work for me: Tried to uninstall everything with Nvida on it (graphics driver + all software). This ended up in no external monitor at all, not even on the internal HDMI on the laptop. Reinstalled from Nvida webpage and got the external monitor on the internal HDMI working again. No changes to monitor attached to the G5 docking in either situations.
During all my installs/uninstalls today I had the monitor working on the G5 docking for a short while. Unfortunately, after reboot it was gone again and I haven't been able to replicate the sequence of changes that made it work.
Powering the docking off and on sometimes makes the external monitor appear with a disabled/grayed out icon in Intel Graphic Commandcenter (and with a similar small icon Windows Display - Select and rearrange displays). Selecting activate changes nothing. But this observation indicates there is contact at hardware level, but not at the driver/software level. Out of that, one could suspect the USB-3/Thunderbolt driver/software as well.

HP Recommended

Good news…

The latest Intel® UHD Graphics 630 driver from Intel, version 27.20.100.8783 dated 9/24/2020, seems to solve the issue. I had 2 unsuccessful installations reporting “driver already installed” before it installed OK this morning.

I’m not sure if the NVida driver is relevant, but the version I have installed on my now fully functional PC/Docking combination is version 27.21.14.5638 dated 9/14/2020.

HP Recommended

Got it working again, also uninstalled about every video driver I found, both intel and nvidia, but still now and then it doesn't work that well, a lot of times the USB port just stops working, I have to do a hard reset to make it work again.

HP Recommended

This is the solution that has turned out stable for me and a customer of mine:
My "Intel® UHD Graphics 630" driver is version 27.20.100.8783 dated 9/24/2020 and downloaded/installed using "Intel Driver & Support Assistant".
The Intel driver alone is not sufficient. You have to update the NVida driver. The NVida driver I use is the Nvida Studio Driver 456.38 dated 09/17/2020 downloaded from NVida. First, I downloaded "Geforce Experience", and then I had to create an account at NVida to be able to download the actual driver. It's seriously annoying how NVida delivers drivers but that's how it is.

I don’t think you can do with the NVida driver alone. I had that one installed without a functional video over docking. It was with the Intel update this started working again.
As a side note - the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design" driver reported by "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" is version 27.21.14.5638 dated 9/14/2020.  I had that one too, for a couple of weeks while the problem persisted. So I think the two drivers I mention first are the crucial ones.

Hope you are able to solve this with the information provided.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.