Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 640 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have about 4,000 G2 laptops that we just purchased and recieved, however about 1/4 of them are having issues with the external screens (one screen of the two) flickering. We build our own images so I decided to check the driver. It was running Version:20.19.15.4457 Rev.A. I checked the patch notes on HP and noticed 4463 fixed some flickering issues so I updated it to the latest version 15.40.4483 Rev.F(1 Nov 2016).

However this didn't fix the flickering second screen. Screen was set to refresh at 75 and I dropped it down to 60. Cables don't seem to matter since it can be caused with vga or dvi (over display). The laptops are connected to a DIB HP Ultraslim Dock.

This has also happened on our EliteBook 840 G3 models. However they are running the same driver and Dock.

So I'm not really sure what else to try. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So when I was looking at the patch notes some more I noticed HP's driver was for windows 8.1 and not windows 10. So I decided to download the most up to date driver from intel. Of course I had to delete HP's driver since it didn't like that I was installing a non HP modified driver but it's been 2 days and no flickering screens.

Thank you for you reply WAWood.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Wafflez19

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Hopefully, someone will come along with a genuine "fix" for this -- but in the meantime, I can offer a workaround that "fixed" a similar problem I was having with multiple monitors and my desktop.

I had a primary Samsung 24" flat panel monitor and I wanted more real estate, so I connected my old HP monitor -- and right away, the primary monitor started flickering so bad I could not use it!

I have several PCs, so I rotate through several monitors and the result was always the same -- connect the HP monitor and the primary was rendered useless.  This happened regardless of the cables or connectors used for either monitor.

Then, I connected the HP monitor using a USB-to-VGA adapter -- and everything was fine!

So, if you can't get this fixed any other way, that adapter might give you a workaround.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

So when I was looking at the patch notes some more I noticed HP's driver was for windows 8.1 and not windows 10. So I decided to download the most up to date driver from intel. Of course I had to delete HP's driver since it didn't like that I was installing a non HP modified driver but it's been 2 days and no flickering screens.

Thank you for you reply WAWood.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.