Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 ap0033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an HP Spectre x360 Gem Cut 13 (ap0033dx) with the Sure View Integrated Privacy Screen and have noticed that the display has a VERY limited viewing angle (especially vertically). It's so bad that it's almost impossible to see the screen in full brightness from top to bottom. Very annoying and not in keeping with a top-tier laptop.

This isn't an issue with the privacy screen (at least it doesn't appear to be...the privacy screen seems to work fine when I toggle it on and off).

Has anyone else noticed this and if so do the other two display options behave similarly? I don't recall this having been an issue while in the store checking out the display model.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So it turns out that the problem is with the integrated privacy screen design. I went to two local Best Buy stores and the display units for this model (with the integrated privacy screen) both suffered from the same effect: a very narrow viewing angle. The other display options (4k and standard HD) have no problems with the viewing angles whatsoever. But the Integrated Viewing Screen? It's great as long as you're looking at it dead center and don't move. At all.

{sigh}

Mystery solved and laptop returned for a refund.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SJersey_Dave 

Do you know what is Sure View Integrated Privacy Screen ? It is designed for Privacy viewing and reduce viewing angle to STOP people next to you can see your screen. You can remove this is you wish by toggling if OFF.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, I know very well what it is and how to use it. I purchased this model specifically for that reason and it works just fine.

The issue isn't with the Sure View feature, it's an aspect of the LCD display screen itself. LCD displays have a long history of being difficult to see when viewed at an angle, some worse than others. I'm trying to discern hether or not what's going on with mine is unique (and possibly in need of replacement) or is instead a characteristic of the model in general.

It's bad enought that it's impossible to see the entire screen with the same brightness level from edge to edge.

HP Recommended

Ok, after doing a bit of checking according to HP this model has an IPS display. I find this hard to believe given that it seems to be acting much more like a TN display. 

If anyone else has this display and can chime in on the viewing angle I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

So it turns out that the problem is with the integrated privacy screen design. I went to two local Best Buy stores and the display units for this model (with the integrated privacy screen) both suffered from the same effect: a very narrow viewing angle. The other display options (4k and standard HD) have no problems with the viewing angles whatsoever. But the Integrated Viewing Screen? It's great as long as you're looking at it dead center and don't move. At all.

{sigh}

Mystery solved and laptop returned for a refund.

HP Recommended

I'm with you, have the same issue.  Super annoying.  Did you end up going for one without the SureView feature?

HP Recommended

No, I didn't. I ended up getting a Huawei Matebook X Pro and I love it! 

HP Recommended

I just bought an EliteBook 840 G6, same Issue here. The Screen is really bright, but really disappointing in terms of viewing angle. HP: THIS IS NOT SOLVED! => This was probably my last HP Box.

HP Recommended

How you solved this issue? I have got the same issue on HP 1050 G1 with sure view.  You can return your laptop to HP ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.