Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-cp0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up until yesterday, the function keys to lower (F2) and increase (F3) the brightness level used to work perfectly. However, upon yesterday they suddenly stopped working.

Whenever I press F2 or F3, the slider (to show the brightness decreasing/increasing) doesn't appear, and my screen doesn't dim or brighten.

However, the buttons don't seem to have lost functionality, as whenver I'm using Google Chrome and I press F2 the page refreshes and whenever I press Fn + F3, the 'Find' prompt appears (as if I've pressed CTRL+F). So the laptop clearly still registers that the buttons are being pressed.

I've tried troubleshooting the issue through 'Troubleshoot' --> 'Hardware and Devices' and at first attempt, it said there was an issue and that once I restarted my laptop it would be solved, but upon doing so, the F2 and F3 keys still don't function properly.

I've run out of ideas for what to do, all help is appreciated.

P.S. I've discovered that the F4 button also isn't functioning properly, although I rarely use the F4 key so this isn't as much as a priority. However, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11 and F12 work fine. 

EDIT: I can still adjust the brightness, but I have to do so manually through Settings which is somewhat tedious and annoying since I'd have to do that every single time.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MoGi-21 

Please try newer software for brightness hotkey

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81790.exe

or

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85001-85500/sp85423.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I tried both links (restarting after each installation) and unfortunately neither seemed to do the trick.

Any other ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.