Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Just received this email from HP.

"Thank you for chatting with us at HP and we appreciate your time and patience. I am sorry to inform you that a compatible high voltage AC adapter for your HP notebook is not available for shipping from us.
You can purchase a compatible AC adapter with 90 Watt from online or local stores.
The AC adapter provided with the unit is 65W SMART NPFC 3PIN with Part #854055-002."

Apperley they changed their mind about replacing my adapter.
HP Recommended

Oh wow..

Anyways, the HP engineer had contacted me and he will be coming over for onsite appointment next Monday. 

I will talk to him about this issue and hear what he says. My entire motherboard would be replaced I guess.

Maybe I could get him to bring along a 90W adapter for troubleshooting too 🙂

Will be updating you all after that.

HP Recommended

Okay, so after conntacting HP again and getting no help what so ever I went out and bought a 90W AC adapter myself. Solved all my problems. I'm getting even higher FPS than I did on battery. This was probaly the last HP product I bought though.

HP Recommended

WOW that is really great to know.

I guess I will be contacting support and see if they will be providing me with a 90W adapter

This seems to be a really careless mistake on HP's part... 

HP Recommended

@UserinDistress,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Any news on this?

I brought the exact same problem to the table earlier today, before I found this thread. See my question here

As I've narrowed the problem down to the charger myself and seeing it being confirmed here (albeit by the account of one person) I'd really like to try a 90 watt adapter. Preferably as a free replacement because it seems that HP bundled an inadequate charger with this one...

HP Recommended

Well, so is there any news on this?

I'd really like to know because I can't use the laptop for anything that requires the MX150 GPU. I could buy an aftermarket HP compatible 90 watt adapter, which seemed to have worked for at least one user in this thread. But surely this is not supposed to be the solution. I assume I can figure this out with HP within three weeks. If not then I can still send everything back, despite it being a great laptop (when it's running on its battery or a proper PSU, that is).

I'll be calling the HP support this afternoon, but some heads up here is also greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

... the replacement motherboard HP from my region decided to ship over has yet to come... The ETA has been pushed back many times. Yet, HP insists that they change the motherboard first, and has also told me that a 90W adapter doesn't ship with this model, and hence will not be replacing the 65W one. Currently, I have no idea where to buy one, since therea arn't many local stores from my region which actually sells it.

Can't comprehend why HP is unwilling to do so... It clearly states that the 90W adapter is supported by this model in the manual.

If they shipped this laptop with the wrong AC adapter leading to this problem, then they ought to replace it with an ideal one.

At least allow us to even troubleshoot the issue and test to know if the 90W adapter solves the issue.

TBH, right now there isn't a confirmation that changing an adapter resolves the fps drop, but seeing that 1 person has reported to have already done so with it, I think it is the closest we can get to fixing this.

HP Recommended

Insisting on changing out the Mobo while the cause of the issue is pointing towards the AC adapter seems like a strange thing to do. I know the solution is only supported by someone's anekdote in this thread, but I narrowed down the problem to the AC adapter independantly and my roommate with another brand 7th gen intel / GT950M laptop (in theory the same power demand) recieved a 90 watt adapter with it.

So I was just contacted by the local HP support department (local is The Netherlands). They are forwarding my issue to the international support department, who will then contact me with further details. Here they didn't encounter this as a common problem. Then again the 8th gen intel + MX150 laptops are pretty new on the market and besides most users will never play games or stress test/benchmark their system (or at least not right away).

Now what I'll try to do is get my hands on someone's compatible 90 watt AC adapter to see if it resolves my issue.  

HP Recommended
My laptop still perform very well with the new charger. I'm using a 3rd party 90W 19,5V adapter. Strange how HP doesn't want to take the blame for this problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.