Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6-n012dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have some serious problem while gaming.

I can play games with good fps without plugging in my power cord.

But, the moment I plug in the power cord, the fps suddenly drops to below 15 (sometimes below 10 too) that the game starts lagging and it becomes unplayable.

And again, it can be played once I unplug the power cord.

Because of this problem, I can't play any games for more than 1.5 hours with battery load alone. I need to charge my battery, wait, and then play again.

What is the cause of this problem and how can I solve it?

Thanks..

These are my PC specs in case you need it:

Model: HP ENVY m6-n012dx

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

RAM: 8GB (2X4GB  Hynix @ 1600MHz)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (1790 MB RAM; 0 MB VRAM)

Motherboard: 229E KBC Version 83.12

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@demosin wrote:

I just checked what you asked..

On the back of the laptop, it written as INPUT 19.5V, 3.33A

On the charger, it is written as OUTPUT 19.5V, 2.31A. And it's a 45W Smart AC Adapter.

There is your problem.... 3.33A is bigger then 2.31A. You can have bigger Amp but not smaller amperage....your adapter isn't able to provide sufficient power.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Sounds like a bad battery....

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

I checked my battery condition in HP Support Assistant, and it says it's fine, though I don't know how far it is true..

But, I really don't have any battery problem, because my lappy can go up to 3+ hours for normal use and with gaming it is reduced to around 1.5 hours, and that's normal because gaming consumes more power.

As stated, my problem is low fps during plugged in. The game works fine while running it from battery alone. So, I don't think it's a battery problem. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@demosin wrote:

I checked my battery condition in HP Support Assistant, and it says it's fine, though I don't know how far it is true..

But, I really don't have any battery problem, because my lappy can go up to 3+ hours for normal use and with gaming it is reduced to around 1.5 hours, and that's normal because gaming consumes more power.

As stated, my problem is low fps during plugged in. The game works fine while running it from battery alone. So, I don't think it's a battery problem. Any suggestions?

I think your battery can't output what the games is wanting and push comes to shove the battery is the looser. Gaming puts more stress on battery usage alone. I think you should try it will a full charged battery with power plugged in and see if the fps drops happen or not or take out the battery and play the game without the batter and see what happens.

Learn more
HP Recommended

I have played with the following setups:

1. Full Charge battery with no charging - Can play the game properly (25+ fps)

2. Charging and playing (with battery attached to the laptop) - Game lags (8-15 fps)

3. Charging and playing (removed the battery from the laptop) - Game still lags (5-15 fps)

So, that means it has nothing to do with the battery, i guess? What do you think? 

HP Recommended

@demosin wrote:

I have played with the following setups:

1. Full Charge battery with no charging - Can play the game properly (25+ fps)

2. Charging and playing (with battery attached to the laptop) - Game lags (8-15 fps)

3. Charging and playing (removed the battery from the laptop) - Game still lags (5-15 fps)

So, that means it has nothing to do with the battery, i guess? What do you think? 

Sounds like your power adapter isn't able to provide the needed voltage/amp required when charging the battery and game play at the same time? How old is that charger?

Learn more
HP Recommended
My charger is 1 year 2 months old.. Is it too old? Do I need to change it?
HP Recommended

@demosin wrote:
My charger is 1 year 2 months old.. Is it too old? Do I need to change it?

From what I can understand it sounds like once the battery is charged everything is find with power plugged in the problem starts when the battery is drained and your using the computer at the same time the charger for some reason can't maintain the power level to charge and run at the same time resulting in the system slowing down to compensate for the lack of power drain. What is your power rating on the underside of the laptop say for Voltage and AMps and compare that to what it says on the Charge for Voltage and Amp output? But if you can get another Power adapter that is for your laptop and test it out that could eliminate the charger problem. But only if there is a spare you can borrow don't go out and buy one yet.

Learn more
HP Recommended

On the charger, it is written as OUTPUT 19.5V, 2.31A. And it's a 45W Smart AC Adapter.

HP Recommended

@demosin wrote:

There is your problem.... 3.33A is bigger then 2.31A. You can have bigger Amp but not smaller amperage....your adapter isn't able to provide sufficient power.

Learn more
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.