Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just got my laptop and during my setup I tried setting up Windows Hello and fingerprint. I put in my PIN-code and then it tells me to place my finger on the sensor, I then lift my finger up and a message saying An error occured, fingerprint scanner not connected. Please connect and try again.

I've tried rebooting the biometric sensor through device manager, also reverting to older drivers and back but nothing changes. 

Is there anything I could do to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@axelmorath 

If the Device Manager at least detects the fingerprint reader sensor, then you (at least) have a reader and not a plain "plug" to mark the spot where the reader would be located.

Service and Maintenance Guide > Page 15

My personal experience with the same type of sensor (on a really nice Elitebook) is that the sensor works about 20% of the time.  I attribute the difficulty to my particular fingerprints but also to the design of the sensor.   This "place and pray" type sensor never worked for me as consistently as have the "swipe" type of fingerprint sensors I have had on a number of notebooks and workstations. 

Disclaimer

Anything I say is Personal Opinion, of course.  I do not discuss "good or bad" design choices made by any manufacturer, including HP.

So, what to do?

Uncertain.

Personal experience aside, the following might be helpful in context:

Run Windows Update (Check for Updates) a few times over the first couple days that you own the computer.  It sometimes takes more than one "Update" session for Windows to become fully updated.

Next, update your HP Software and Drivers either manually or using the Softpaq Download Manager.

Reference

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

Business class computers support a robust, comprehensive software tool for updating and

managing HP Software and Drivers:  Softpaq Download Manager (SDM)

SDM will find-install-update needed HP software and drivers for your business class machine, including, when applicable, the fussy BIOS update.

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

Continuing...

Amongst the HP drivers is the following (which may or may not already be installed on your computer).

Synaptics VFS7552 WBF Touch Fingerprint Driver

Driver Version at this writing:  5.5.16.1099 Rev.A

Release Date:  Mar 29, 2019

Manual Update

Download and save the driver

If you "uninstall" the existing biometric sensor from the Device Manager, do not restart the computer right away.

Use the search / browse mechanism in the Device Manager to seek out and install your saved update

or

Simply get out of the Device Manager after having deleted the driver > navigate to the folder in which you saved the download > double-click the installation file and install the driver.  After installation, Restart the computer and log in.

Anything else?

Oddly enough, slightly dampening the finger you are using to try and activate that fussy little sensor may help.  This is akin to "licking the finger and drying on a shirt sleeve" kind of "damp".  Obviously, some people find the idea of licking a finger completely inappropriate - dampen the finger using any means that is acceptable to you and then wipe it off a bit before placing the finger on the sensor.  The idea is to make sure the "fingerprint" is available to the sensor.  Will it work?  Likely not, but sometimes it helps at least long enough to get the fingerprint accepted in Sign-in Options.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@axelmorath 

If the Device Manager at least detects the fingerprint reader sensor, then you (at least) have a reader and not a plain "plug" to mark the spot where the reader would be located.

Service and Maintenance Guide > Page 15

My personal experience with the same type of sensor (on a really nice Elitebook) is that the sensor works about 20% of the time.  I attribute the difficulty to my particular fingerprints but also to the design of the sensor.   This "place and pray" type sensor never worked for me as consistently as have the "swipe" type of fingerprint sensors I have had on a number of notebooks and workstations. 

Disclaimer

Anything I say is Personal Opinion, of course.  I do not discuss "good or bad" design choices made by any manufacturer, including HP.

So, what to do?

Uncertain.

Personal experience aside, the following might be helpful in context:

Run Windows Update (Check for Updates) a few times over the first couple days that you own the computer.  It sometimes takes more than one "Update" session for Windows to become fully updated.

Next, update your HP Software and Drivers either manually or using the Softpaq Download Manager.

Reference

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

Business class computers support a robust, comprehensive software tool for updating and

managing HP Software and Drivers:  Softpaq Download Manager (SDM)

SDM will find-install-update needed HP software and drivers for your business class machine, including, when applicable, the fussy BIOS update.

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

Continuing...

Amongst the HP drivers is the following (which may or may not already be installed on your computer).

Synaptics VFS7552 WBF Touch Fingerprint Driver

Driver Version at this writing:  5.5.16.1099 Rev.A

Release Date:  Mar 29, 2019

Manual Update

Download and save the driver

If you "uninstall" the existing biometric sensor from the Device Manager, do not restart the computer right away.

Use the search / browse mechanism in the Device Manager to seek out and install your saved update

or

Simply get out of the Device Manager after having deleted the driver > navigate to the folder in which you saved the download > double-click the installation file and install the driver.  After installation, Restart the computer and log in.

Anything else?

Oddly enough, slightly dampening the finger you are using to try and activate that fussy little sensor may help.  This is akin to "licking the finger and drying on a shirt sleeve" kind of "damp".  Obviously, some people find the idea of licking a finger completely inappropriate - dampen the finger using any means that is acceptable to you and then wipe it off a bit before placing the finger on the sensor.  The idea is to make sure the "fingerprint" is available to the sensor.  Will it work?  Likely not, but sometimes it helps at least long enough to get the fingerprint accepted in Sign-in Options.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@axelmorath 

May I add one more: not all 840 G5 machines have Fingerprint reader which is an option. I know 2 machines (one in front of me right now) don't have this option

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien 

So true.  Smiling.  So many models in this series.

I count 271 separate product numbers for the Elitebook 840 G5 series.

In general, if the Device manager > Biometrics > Right-Click on device > Properties > Events > All Events shows a completed

Driver installation,

and

Device manager > Biometrics > Right-Click on device > Properties > Details > (various Property items) verify the existence of the hardware,

then

I tend to think that is enough evidence to support the hardware as part of the component list.

Honestly, other absolute proof that this particular piece of hardware actually exists on a board wants to elude me.  I have access to a great deal of information on the hardware I own - not all of that wealth of data is something for which I have a clear understanding.  The information is "there" - I lack the skill set to understand all of it.  Smiling.

What did the customer purchase?

Frequently, the answer about whether an option was purchased is listed in the details of that purchase.

For example, checking my HP Purchase Order for the Zbook 17 G3, the fingerprint reader is listed as a purchased option on the "HP Order has been received" confirmation email.

Partial Excerpt:

Intel 8260 ac (2x2) + Bluetooth 4.2
HP lt4120 LTE HSPA+ EVDO Gobi - 4G
6-Cell (96 WHr) Long Life Battery
•Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Intel® vPro™ Technology Enabled

I wish I could help more -  little "box" type biometric reader was not something with which I was able to make friends.  No matter what I did to it, the device continued to plague me (not work as expected).

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the 2019 HP Envy 13. The fingerprint reader stopped working shortly after I got it. I tried things in the list of solutions but nothing worked for me. In the end I found a solution for my problem. I entered the BIOS page, and reset the fingerprint data. Works flawlessly now. Good luck people 👍

HP Recommended

@Ash1994
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.