Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Mine just started flickering today (machine bought via Amazon UK in May 2017).  It is the 4K model (15-bl001na).

This isn't mild flickering barely visible as described in one post above, it makes the screen temporarily unreadable (complete screen break-up and briefly going blank).  I first noticed it when plugged in, removing power made no difference.  I don't have any connected monitor or other peripherals.  Resolution is set to the recommended 4K (3840x2160) setting and 60Hz refresh.

Windows 10 Home 1709 16299.192

Intel 620 driver: 21.20.16.4574

There is nothing else unusual - it is not particularly hot, dusty and the machine is not damaged in any way.

It seems from above that there is some form of latent defect affecting these machines.  It would be helpful to know if this requires the unit to be returned or if there is a driver fix.

Thanks

HP Recommended

In my case (also 4k model) it was indeed much more than mild flickering but started within a day of use. Driver updates didn't fix but switching to 30Hz refresh did seem to.

Machine was returned due to other faults (keyboard), then replacement immediately returned (due to different keyboard fault) so never had one working for long enough to find out if the reduced refresh is an acceptable work-around to the flickering issue. Switched to different manufacturer who could deliver a laptop that works for more than a couple of days!

Dave

HP Recommended

Thanks alot Niek...i have read alot of solutions BUT this one worked for me instantly.....its all on the intel HD video settings.

I have an older model HP SPECTRE (X360 convertible, with Core i7 , 6th generation processor and SDD drive) it had given me issues as the screen kept on flickering(at times) only when my power adapter was not on ..

to resolve the problem, i went to the intel graphic settings (Right click on the desktop)...went to power tab and changed the panel self refresh to DISABLE also the display power saving technology to DISABLE as well...)

The flickering has since stopped. This is how i resolved my problem.

EDWARDO

HP Recommended

So ,OP, what worked for you eventually?

HP Recommended

Nothing works!!! It is a manufacturer defect no doubt. Too bad for such an expensive product

HP Recommended

So you returned it? Had parts replaced? Gave up and let the problem stay?

HP Recommended

Whether you are comforted or dismayed, the Surface Pro 4 has the same issues.  There's a 160 page thread that continues to grow with people experience this same issue on their SFP4, myself included:

[edit]

No solutions.  Everyone wants to say it's driver problem, except external displays don't show the issue and you can see it in the UEFI / BIOS on restart once it gets bad, way before drivers and software are at play.  I thought it was a Microsoft design flaw, so I thought I'd look into alternatives.  Apparently HPs equivalent device has the same problem, which probably means they're using the same design or the same faulty part.  Either way, new devices and refurbished devices lead you straight back here eventually.  Your only apparent alternative is Apple if you want a capable touch screen tablet, so I guess you'll have to give up on Office and/or OneNote (and dozens of other real applications).

Add your voice here if you think HP and Microsoft have had extremely lackluster responses to this issue:

[edit]

HP Recommended

@fikester3wrote:

Whether you are comforted or dismayed, the Surface Pro 4 has the same issues.  There's a 160 page thread that continues to grow with people experience this same issue on their SFP4, myself included:

[edit]

No solutions.  Everyone wants to say it's driver problem, except external displays don't show the issue and you can see it in the UEFI / BIOS on restart once it gets bad, way before drivers and software are at play.  I thought it was a Microsoft design flaw, so I thought I'd look into alternatives.  Apparently HPs equivalent device has the same problem, which probably means they're using the same design or the same faulty part.  Either way, new devices and refurbished devices lead you straight back here eventually.  Your only apparent alternative is Apple if you want a capable touch screen tablet, so I guess you'll have to give up on Office and/or OneNote (and dozens of other real applications).

Add your voice here if you think HP and Microsoft have had extremely lackluster responses to this issue:

[edit]

I edited my post yesterday regarding this issue and now it´s gone.

Not sure if I accidentally deleted it or if it was removed #conspiracytheory

Regardless the surface issue seems somehat different then the HP one for theese major reasons:

• HP issues seem to only occur when running on battery power
  • HP issues seems to lessen or dissapear when dissabling energy saving in intel GFX (making it warmer if anything)
  • HP issues seems to be present right out of the box ( my device is spanking new) 
  • Flickering "pattern/visuals" differ from what I see on YT clips of both problems.

That said it´s still interesting to follow the outcome for the SP4.

I hope the issues get sorted soon since this hardware is just so visually appealing.

Sadly as it is my daily driver at work I´m most likely just going to return it and go back to Lenovo.

HP Recommended

Constant flickering screen as well as the touch part of the screen goes crazy and thinks im touching all over. ever since I bought this $1700 laptop it has had non-stop issues. Should have went with a Mac. My manufacturer warranty just expired and even when it was only 3 months old HP would not take the computer back for inspection. 0/10 customer service and QC on products. Waste of $1700

HP Recommended
This has actually been happening to me since I purchased this laptop in October 2017. I’ve realized that this always happens when a mobile device within about 10 feet my laptop is receiving a call/text. The flickering typically goes on until the phone call is complete or the mobile device is moved away. I’m guessing that this may have something to do with what is going on....
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.