Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce3504na
Microsoft Windows 11

I've been experiencing some bizarre graphical glitches on my HP laptop that sometimes happen during video playback. This is what I've experienced:

• The video may have distorted colours or lines, or sometimes go completely transparent if in picture-in-picture mode.
  • Certain parts of the video may be visible at one time, with the rest being completely black.
  • The video may gain a "marquis" effect, scrolling constantly from the right hand side to the left.
  • The cursor, any open window, the desktop and/or the lock screen may appear corrupted. Sometimes this happens while doing actions like typing or dragging a window.
  • The display may go black or flicker uncontrollably. If a certain video in picture-in-picture mode is in a specific desktop, the black screen or flickering only happens when that desktop is active. This may stop if I manage to resize the video.

When the computer goes to sleep mode, any issues are resolved when it wakes up.

I have a photo of a few of the glitches happening. Any direct screen captures do not show them happening.

20220827_143026.jpg

While the laptop I have currently runs Windows 11, I've seen this happen when Windows 10 was installed. I suspect they may be caused in some way by the picture-in-picture mode in web browsers like Google Chrome or a possibly corrupt driver, though I'm not completely sure.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Bilet 

(1) Disable hardware acceleration in the browser settings

(2) Test

(3) Enable hardware acceleration in the browser settings

(4) Test

(5) Please report your results

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Bilet 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

I want the check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> copy/paste to following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

BIOS Version/Date

(2) Start windows <device manager>

- Expand <Human Interface Devices>

- Expand <Disk drives>

- Expand <Display adapters>

- Expand <Monitors>

- Expand <Network adapters>

- Expand <Sound, video and game controllers>

--->>> Send screenshot

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

Okay, here's what I've got.

1. msinfo32

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version: 10.0.22000 Build 22000
System Model: HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce3xxx
System SKU: 8FE41EA#ABU
BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.10, 27/05/2020

2. Device Manager

Screenshot.png

HP Recommended

Hello @Bilet 

Please follow instructions ...

(1Download and install BIOS Update

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

F.16 Rev.A14.0 MBMay 23, 2022Download

Why should you install the update ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4123786-2338478-16

Quote: "

Updating the BIOS is recommended as standard maintenance of the computer. It can also help resolve the following issues:

• An available BIOS update resolves a specific issue or improves computer performance.
  • The current BIOS does not support a hardware component or a Windows upgrade.
  • HP Support recommends installing a specific BIOS update.

"

(2Reboot

(3Let BIOS be installed until it's completely done !

(4Download and Install/Update

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

27.20.100.8681 Rev.C376.0 MBAug 9, 2021Download

NVIDIA Graphics Driver

27.21.14.5241 Rev.B727.3 MBNov 16, 2020Download

(5Reboot and test

(6Please report your results

HP Recommended

I've followed the instructions you've given me, and I've experienced the same issues since. I'll add the following to help clear things up more.

• The glitches can happen at any time when a video is playing, and when it starts, it affects any webpage that has a video player across multiple browsers (I've seen it when using Google Chrome, Opera and Brave). The glitches will stop if I exit from those webpages or they're no longer active, but will reappear if I go to any webpage with a video player or they become active again.
  • I experienced a similar issue about a year ago when my device was connected to another display and was set to extend mode. The display on the laptop would flicker and produce a corrupted cursor whenever it was active there, but when it moved to the second display, the flickering on the laptop would stop and the cursor will appear normal. There was no flickering in the second display. I had the top display replaced between then and now  (from a full-HD 1080p screen to a 720p one) because of an unrelated issue.
  • Since installing those drivers, I've noticed that video played in picture-in-picture mode can sometimes play at a lower, noticeably choppier frame rate if its parent window isn't active.
HP Recommended

Hello @Bilet 

(1) Disable hardware acceleration in the browser settings

(2) Test

(3) Enable hardware acceleration in the browser settings

(4) Test

(5) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hello @Bilet 

(1) Connect <external monitor> via vga/hdmi cable. Same error pattern on external screen ?

(2) Please report your results

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.