Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6-2155dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently reformatted the hd and installed Windows 10 pro.  Now I cannot get anything better than a 1024x768 resolution not to mention not being able to connect to multiple displays (monitors/TVs).  Seemingly because the video driver that was installed with Windows 10 is the basic display driver

I used to be able to work with the following displays simultaneously:

1. LG monitor (attached via VGA) with a 1920x1080 resolution

2. Sony HD TV connected via HDMI

I've tried everything so far, including:

1. Attempting to install and run various Intel Graphic Drivers versions, and, Intel's Drivers Support Tool

2. Attempting to install and run HP Drivers and HP's Support Tool

In each case nothing works.  I really could use some help in figuring out what I can try next to get a proper Intel Graphics driver installed

THNXS in advance for your consideration and assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That ID was one of the two supported by the driver.

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0]
%iILKGM0% = iILKM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046
%iILKG0% = iILKD0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042

So...what that means is the latest build of W10 does not include driver support for that hardware ID, and it isn't going to let us trick it into installing the W7 driver.

Here is what I suggest...clean install an older version of W10 and then update to the newest version and perhaps it will carry over the driver and not assign it as a Microsoft Basic display adapter.

This site has access to the Microsoft tech bench and all of the W10 versions ever released.

Download one of the older release ISO files...maybe the first or second release.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

This is the link you want to download the tool to access the W10 ISO files.

https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe

Hopefully it will automatically install the graphics driver and then you can click on the Update now button on the Microsoft media creation tool link and update to 1903 and keep the Intel driver.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have zipped up and attached below the Microsoft utility you can use to transfer the W10 ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook is not supported for W10, and as the newer releases roll out, sometimes things that used to work in the older versions of W10 won't work on the newer releases.

There are no W10, 8.1 or W8 drivers for the Intel graphics adapter your notebook has, which is why the generic Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver was installed, and yes, that is why you can't do anything such as change the resolution or connect to external displays.

So, here is what I suggest you try...

Download, save, and unzip the latest zip file version of the graphics driver for your notebook's configuration.

Don't run the setup application within the file folder.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22520/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for...

Go to the device manager.  Click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk and browse to the unzipped graphics driver folder>Graphics>kit51428 (setup information file), click next, and hopefully the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

First, much THNXS for taking time to read and respond to my issue

Second I followed your suggestion to the letter but it did not work.  I ended up with the error message: "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver... make sure it's designed to work with x64-based systems."

Second, I get what you're saying that essentially my laptop was built way before the Windows 10 generation and it's attendant graphics drivers and what-not, and so I shouldn't expect things to necessarily work

Except that...

1. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home back when that was 1st made available on the market.  And I remember having a similar problem to the one I'm having now.  But, I was able to resolve it.  That is, (I don't recall all the deets now but), I was able to get a proper graphics driver that worked for Windows 10 Home.  And for years after was able to enjoy viewing a monitor and a TV

2. Before I had to do a full reformat of my HD yesterday, I had in the distant past done a

Windows 10 Home Reset as well as in the recent past done a full/straight up Windows 10 Pro install from a USB stick.  In both of those situations, I did not have the problem I'm having now

This all leads me to conclude that my current woes lie with having done the reformat.  But logically I square that in my head.  Does this give you any further insights as to why I'm stuck in this hell?  And more importantly, what can I do to resolve it

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work.  Sometimes it does, and sometimes not.

On the older versions of W10, Microsoft had a WDDM driver which automatically installed the graphics adapter on yours and older model notebooks.

I have a couple of ideas for you to try, so don't give up hope just yet.

First I would like to confirm the hardware ID of the Intel graphics adapter your notebook has.

I only saw two listed in that driver file, and that concerns me.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

You would begin by clicking on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

I want to confirm that one of the two ID's listed was for the specific graphics adapter your notebook has.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul

I'm glad you're super chilled about being able to get to a resolution because I'm pulling hairs outta my head over here

As far as hardware IDs go, I first fired up GPUZ and this is what I see:

Name: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Device ID:  8086 0046 - 103C 3658

BIOS Version: 1960 PC 14.34 10/15/2009 11:37:51

GPU: Arrandale

Technology: 45nm

In Device Manager under the Display Adapter I see Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_3658103C&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_3658103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300

HP Recommended

Hi:

That ID was one of the two supported by the driver.

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0]
%iILKGM0% = iILKM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046
%iILKG0% = iILKD0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042

So...what that means is the latest build of W10 does not include driver support for that hardware ID, and it isn't going to let us trick it into installing the W7 driver.

Here is what I suggest...clean install an older version of W10 and then update to the newest version and perhaps it will carry over the driver and not assign it as a Microsoft Basic display adapter.

This site has access to the Microsoft tech bench and all of the W10 versions ever released.

Download one of the older release ISO files...maybe the first or second release.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

This is the link you want to download the tool to access the W10 ISO files.

https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe

Hopefully it will automatically install the graphics driver and then you can click on the Update now button on the Microsoft media creation tool link and update to 1903 and keep the Intel driver.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have zipped up and attached below the Microsoft utility you can use to transfer the W10 ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I wanted to give you a quick update on where I am with thing right now...  I agree with your assessment that installing an older version of Windows 10 (maybe even going back to Windows 7 and then upgrading to 10) should fix the problem. That pathway to a solution makes sense in my head

But for now, after some efforts last night, 

1. It's not all said and done yet 😞 but I'mma keep working on it

2. My initial efforts to download and create a bootable usb drive with an older version of Windows 10 using the links you provided have failed miserably

I'll scrub everything and try again today and report back to you with specific error messages/conditions that I come across.  But hopefully I'll get lucky; fingers crossed

Gar

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gar.

If you can reinstall W7 and click on the blue update now button on the media creation tool webpage, that might work as long as the graphics driver gets carried over.  I am just worried it won't.

What problems are you encountering using the Window 10 ISO download tool from Heidoc?

I have been able to download older ISO files from there with no problems.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

So first off... Great news! I'm responding to you from my new and improved laptop, connected to both my LG 32-inch 1920 x 1080 monitor and also to a Sony 4K HD TV. Awesomeness!!!

I can't say THNXS enough!

The issues I was having Thursday evening were weird and seemingly random. I couldn't get the ISO downloader tool to run but when that happened I didn't get any specific error messages that would help me figure out what was going on at the time. So Friday, I finally figured out that I needed to have .NET Framework version 2.0 installed. Which was oddly specific since I first tried with the 4.x .NET Framework but it did not work

Then, once past all that and haven chosen Windows N 10 Home/Pro (July 2015), I successfully reinstalled Windows on the SSD drive I installed in my laptop to replace the original spindle drive. Then it got weird again for a minute...

The display driver that was installed during the Windows installation process was the same generic Windows Display Driver, which gave me no more than 1024 x 768 resolution, not to mention no capability to hook up additional display devices

So (after a few choice words I'm not sure my mom would approve of), I went about attempting to replace/install that generic driver, following your instructions regarding use of the kit51428 file. Then it got super weird...

I got the same message I got before about "... having a driver that support x64 based system..." I def had a few more choice words at that point! So I mucked about the system, going into settings and device manager looking at advanced properties of the driver to see if I missed something. Which technically was superfluous because I had done all of this before a couple days ago when I first logged my question. But then...

Without warning the kit51428 driver kicked in! And my system automagically started displaying in a resolution higher than 1024 x 768. And right-clicking on the desktop gave me the familiar Graphic Options and Graphic Properties choices. Score!

So now I'm good to go. Tho I can't fully explain why the update of the basic graphics driver gave me an error but within about 3 mins or so it kicked in and loaded/installed the Intel(R) Graphics Driver, complete with the Graphics Control Panel

THNXS again!!!!!

p.s.  My next challenge is to carefully update this July 2015 Windows N 10 Home installation to the current 1903 Release and make sure nowhere along the way I loose my current display graphics capabilities. Any advice you have on that would be appreciated

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi, Gar:

That is great news you were able to get the correct graphics driver installed on the old version of W10.

Yes, I also hope that it will just go from the current version to 1903 without any hiccups.

The only advice I can offer, if you don't want to go straight to the current version, would be to make a bootable DVD of an intermediate version of W10 using the Heidoc tool, and run it from the Windows desktop.

If it asks do you want to check for updates, make sure you skip that step or you will be waiting for eons for it to check.

It should autorun and ask if you want to update to that version.

You can use the Microsoft tool I attached the other day for that purpose.

I'm thinking the Fall - September 2017 Creators Update would be a reasonable jumping off point.

If the display driver sticks, you now know you can use the September 2017 Creators Update DVD for a clean install of W10 should you need to do it again.

The only thing I am thinking is while you were finagling with the driver I posted, W10 was automatically installing the driver at the same time.  That is why it may have appeared to you what you did 'kicked in,' but I think it was the driver Microsoft automatically installs that it won't install on v1903 anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.