Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks.

So I have an HP Pavilion 15 laptop which is only 3 months old and have been plugging it into the TV for streaming video via the HDMI output. Everything was fine to start with but just the other day the TV screen went blank whilst it was streaming, although the sound was still okay. It seemed to recover shortly afterwards. It did this a few times. However, today it doesn't work at all...i.e. no sound and no picture from the TV.

I don't know what to do.

Looking at the display settings, when I plug the HDMI cable in, the display settings change, so the laptop knows another monitor attached. It even has "Panasonic TV" identified as the 2nd monitor. Furthermore, the TV is getting a signal of some sort since the TV display says "1080p / 50 Hz input". In addition, as soon as I plug the HDMI cable in, the onboard laptop speaker disconnects and sound switches over to "Panasonic - TV".

I've tried 3 different HMDI cables and a different TV, so the problem is the computer. I'm worried it's a hardware failure. My 3 months warranty period has just expired. 😞

Anybody have any ideas where to start with this?

David 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @David_uk,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the HDMI output on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model number of the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried checking with different HDMI cables?

Are you using any converter to connect HDMI to your PC?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  after selecting the correct Operating system.

Also, Try tapping FN and F4 key to transfer the image from the computer to the monitor. (While the HDMI cable is connected).

Refer this article to further troubleshoot HDMI issues with your laptop regarding video issues. If there is no hardware issue with the computer, this should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshootingsteps. Instead,

just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @David_uk,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the HDMI output on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model number of the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried checking with different HDMI cables?

Are you using any converter to connect HDMI to your PC?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  after selecting the correct Operating system.

Also, Try tapping FN and F4 key to transfer the image from the computer to the monitor. (While the HDMI cable is connected).

Refer this article to further troubleshoot HDMI issues with your laptop regarding video issues. If there is no hardware issue with the computer, this should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshootingsteps. Instead,

just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to say, delighted with such immediate and effective support from HP. It was well beyond my expectations. I will now be recommending HP products to others.

I uninstalled the display driver and deleted the files, rebooted the machine and installed the driver from the website provided......and hey presto, all is fine.  🙂

Thank you for such help. May I take the opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas.

David

HP Recommended

Hi! @David_uk, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @MR.Robot, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Got the same problem on a HP Pavilion 15-cs0xxx. Internal display works fine, external display via HDMI doesn't.

The same HDMI cable and screen works fine from another machine. 

Have tried uninstalling the Intel UHD 620 drivers and tried various flavours (including the latest from HP & Intel), but no joy. 

BIOS is latest from HP (F.16) and OS is Win 10 Home 64-bit 1903 (Build 18362.476). 

The machine detects there's a 2nd monitor present when the cable is plugged in. Both monitors appear in device manager and in display settings, And the Win+P shortcut brings up the options to direct o/p to internal display, external, mirror or extend, but the external screen remains blank. 

I would humbly suggest HP should suggest to Microsoft not to keep messing with the driver model so every Windows Feature update doesn't need new drivers. I'm sure HP have better things to do than to keep updating/testing/releasing drivers for old hardware every time Microsoft release an update. 

HP Recommended

@ksb1972,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on the second monitor.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when the monitor was working fine and check.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Unfortunately, System Restore was turned off on this particular machine, so that isn't an option.

I've turned it on now, which may prove useful in the future...

HP Recommended

@ksb1972,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.