Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP HDX 18
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

Came across the following archived Topic  posted here;

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/HDX18-BLACK-SCREEN/td-p/1202069

i've recently begun to experience similar issue with the following laptop;

- HDX 18 / Windows 7 64-bit / NVIDIA GeForce 9600MGT

Upon starting up from shutdown, Laptop boots up past HP screen screen however, when the Microsoft window appears before displaying Log In screen, the screen goes to black. The fans etc. come on as usual throughout process. Now, when Laptop starts from SLeep mode, the Log in window is visible however, once password is entered, screen goes black.

I connected laptop to external monitor and can see desktop once screen goes black after logging in (starting from Sleep mode.

Any additional help as to why screen goes black during a certain point and how to possibly resolve the issue, would be greatly appreciated. Laptop has been performing great prior to this issue.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@WebWalker, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I recommend restoring the BIOS defaults. You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Run the updates using HP Support Assistant

If the issue persists, perform a system test and see if it helps. Here is how you do it:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer. 

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. 

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests. 

4. Click Extensive Test. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello TEJ1602,

Thank you for your reply and providing possible solution. I appreciate your time and doing so. Will execute what you have recommended and follow up with outcome. To confirm, the document / link you provided  for restoring BIOS here;

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110#N604

States, "This document is for HP and Compaq desktop computers".Will this be an issue if performed on HP HDX 18 laptop?

BIOS manufacturer is Insyde Technology Inc.

System BIOS version is F34 (12/08/10)

Again, thanks!

HP Recommended

TEJ1602,

Please see next post, this was posted in error (duplicate), and was unable to delete.

HP Recommended

TEJ1602,

As suggested, tried resetting BIOS.

Once computer is shutdown and restarted, I began pressing ESCAPE to display STARTUP MENU;

F1 System Information

F2  System Diagnostics

F9  Boot Device Options

F10  BIOS Setup

F11  System Recovery

Unfortunately, laptop screen goes to black as soon as STARTUP MENU screen appear,s (STARTUP MENU screen is not displayed on external monitor, only  seen on HDX18 screen),  and unable to see / scroll down to select F10  BIOS setup. Laptop is connected to external monitor during process however, nothing is displayed on monitor during process.

any suggestions on how I might be able to perform this procedure without being able to see STARTUP MENU screen?

Unable to try your other suggestion ( perform a system test), due to same issue.  Also tried selecting F10 during  computer startup however,  after seeing blinking cursor in upper left part of screen, the HP Invent screen  with F10...BIOS Setup Options, displayed in bottom left of screen,  

I also tried the following (unfortunately, screen remains black);

How to Restore the BIOS on HP Computers with a Key Press Combination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E

In this video, you will see how to restore the BIOS on your HP computer. Many HP computers allow you to recover the last known working version of the BIOS from the hard drive in case of an issue. Follow the simple steps in this video to restore your BIOS with ease. Chapters: 00:00 Introduction ...
HP Recommended

Follow up:

Interesting discovery. I am able to see STARTUP MENU screen when it becomes black, by holding flashlight to screen. Doing this enables me to very faintly see / laptop screen.

Currently ran F2 system diagnostics. if I correct, I believe the following is stated;

-100 % of the system memory tested OK

-8,525,017,088 bytes os system memory tested OK

-Memory test pass

Primary Hard Disk self test

-Quick test

-100% complete

-Hard Disk test passed

-SMART Check

-Hard disk SMART passed

Second hard disk self test

-Quick test

-100% complete

-Hard Disk test passed

-SMART Check

-Hard disk SMART passed

I then clicked ENTER to continue Startup. Using flashlight, I can slightly make out the Starting Windows" . Log on screen briefly appeared and went to black (can still be seen on laptop screen with using flashlight), able o view without issue on external monitor.

Perhaps screen issue is due to something video related (screen Inverter etc.)?

HP HDX18 Maintenance & Service Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01705400.pdf

HP Recommended

@WebWalker

This looks like a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

Hope this helps! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In your opinion, what installed  hardware is causing the issue?

HP Recommended

@WebWalker

Using a flashlight, I can slightly make out the Starting Windows- this statement of yours clearly shows that it could be a display issue or system board issue.

And the only way to isolate is through reaching out to HP Support.

Thank you 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've since come across additional postings regarding same issue here;

DX inverter/backlight failure post;
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/HDX-inverter-backlight-failure/td-p/735093

HP HDX 18 - screen dark;
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-HDX-18-screen-dark/m-p/7194224#M19...

Does the HP HDX have one or two LCD inverters?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.