Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 13-4103dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

Trying to update my touchscreen driver for smartpen (stylus) compatibility, i accidentely downloaded and launched the wrong driver (sp74835). The later is ment for a Spectre 15-ap000 x360. The installation failed and i lost all touchscreen  functionnality after that.

In device manager, HID-compliant touch screen is missing and therefore i cannot update the driver. Is there a way i can re-install the touchscreen diver. A system restore doen not work for some reason.

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi @Matenuncoup,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you lost the driver and the function of the touch screen.

Please try the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Click Action on the top of the Windows.

3. Select Scan for hardware change.

4. The system should reinstall the HID-compliant touch screen under Human Interface Devices

5. Restart the laptop.

Let me know if this helps.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thanks for your help. I tried that procedure a few times already without results. I also tried the hardware and devices troubleshooting tool of Windows 10 many times. I also re-installed the drivers for my model from HP website under Graphics and Keyboard, mouse and I put devices. I also updated pretty much all drivers in device manager (although all were already up to date). I'm starting to run out of options. It's as if the computer thinks it is running the touchscreen device but possibly with a wrong driver, making it unusable. The annoying thing is that it is not listed under Human interface devices in device manager, not even under hidden devices. What I need to do I think is to download the exact driver for my touchscreen and force install it. But I cannot find it anywhere. Any idea?
HP Recommended
Just for clarification purposes, none of the drivers downloadable from HP website are touchscreen related.

By the way, my laptop model is spectre x360 - 13-4103dx
HP Recommended

Hi @Matenuncoup,

You can try to use the Recovery Manager to restore the driver:

HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 10)

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

That was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem. The driver I installed by mistake(sp74835) probably  left some scars that leave the actual touchscreen device  unsupported. I feel my only solution is going to be a full reset of windows, but I really don't feel likeinstalling all my software again... If anyone has an other idea, I'd be glad to try it. 

HP Recommended
Ever find a solution on this? Same thing happened to my HP laptop after moving to Windows10.

I have one identical HP laptop that I did a w10 upgrade on with no issues.

Sure would like to find a solution to the problem. Like you, HID COMPLIANT TOUCH SCREEN is missing in my Device Manager too.
HP Recommended
Anyone know if these drivers are valid (HELP HP 🙂

http://www.driverscape.com/download/hid-compliant-touch-screen
HP Recommended

https://youtu.be/0FEl0hoo8DQ

Follow this video for a fix to hid compliant touchscreen, after i restarted my laptop it didnt seem to work but then hp seemed to come alive with updates, restarted again after the updates, i am now typing this from my touchscreen, hope this helps 🙂🙂

HP Recommended

Hello,

I wanted to know if you had somehow fixed your problem. It happend to me the exact same thing, trying to install the pen and then losing my touchscreen all together. I already spoke/chated with 4 Hp assistants and done everything from troubleshooting steps and I also did a hard reset (a sort of reinstalation of windows) and updated my bios, and still nothing. My touchscreen is not working, is not seen by the system at all, nowhere. I have a Spectre 360, model 13-4116dx. The last Hp assistant told me I probably have to change the display, but i'm sure the display is fine, and is a software problem.  

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.