Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-g209nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all.

I have a problem related to updating graphic drivers on noted laptop.

Laptop specs: HP 15-G2019NL, AMD A8-6410, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB HDD, Amd Radeon R5+8550M.

Issue is that on Windows 10 64bit only SP73276.exe (default HP AMD Radeon display driver) with AMD Catalyst (15.201.1101) works.

I tried several updates and clean install (after using amdcleanuputility) and some of them can install AMD software but cannot display driver or just shut down forcefully without interaction or in some cases installation goes without problems but after restart no driver is installed.

After 7 different version install atempts (version 16.6.2 up to 19.4.2) I managed to get it finished only on versions 17.11.2 and 18.5.1, drivers installed and functional. 

Links:

https://www.techpowerup.com/238868/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17-11-2

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/AMD-Graphic-drivers/td-p/679893...

SP73276 base driver for model:

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-g200-notebook-pc-series/7486438/model/7633428...

Well, now, the issue is what although through AMD settings I have set correct profiles for applications/games (High performance profile) when started I see that the 8550M GPU is used and loaded but the shared memory of the GPU (of total 1,7 GB) is used at max 200 Mb while shared memory of 512Mb is used to its maximum most of the time.

I tried for example starting Fortnite (fullscreen) and the game is more snappier and faster (even at mid to high graphic settings) but the memory never passes over 200Mb.

On the base graphic driver Dedicated 2GB (1.7GB visible in task manager) memory usage previously peaked in games etc. often (upto 1+GB) but here not. Is there a "trick" to instruct the system to use more dedicated video memory (textures, etc.) ? 🙂

Maybe the issue is compatilibility of drivers with APU series and fragmentation and HP specific GPU instructions, but I have not managed to find the latest suppoorted fully functional driver version.

I found in one search iteration information that on AMD homepage for the specific APU supported version is upto 18.* (something 🙂 ) but cannot find the article again to try installing it.

Thanks in advance

p.s. I am not a newbie and this is not my first install or troubleshooting. 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

@Domica
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

The AMD Driver Auto-detect tool is only for use with computers running Microsoft® Windows® 7 or 10 operating systems AND equipped with AMD Radeon discrete desktop graphics, mobile graphics, or AMD processors with Radeon™ graphics.

Obtaining Graphics Drivers Using the AMD Driver Auto-Detect Tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-131

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry but already tried auto install of latest drivers from amd.com.

Laptop either restarts (shuts down forcibly) or completes but after reboot no drivers message appears.

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

20191112_222553-2304x1296.jpg

Correction, managed to install after 3rd attempt latest drivers by auto detect. First at install forced shutdown and only 8500m driver installed but no R5 or AMD settings.

After several attempts, installed but the issue persists.

In high performance mode (laptop also in high performance battery plan) based on per app  profile uses (AMD settings) 512/512 Mb 8500m memory but the 8500m shared (dedicated) memory just 0.1/1.7Gb.

Will post pictures in a few hours...

20191112_223005-2304x1296.jpg

20191112_224021-2304x1296.jpg

20191112_230516-2304x1296.jpg

HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

After 10 days of HP support nothing resolved.

Only pointed toward base Catalyst drivers and a disclaimer that non-using of dedicated 2GB is in order as it should be used at full load (3D).

Non correct, used at 100 % and full 512 Mb used memory but not using more than 200Mb of 1.7Gb.

If anyone knows latest working driver version for R5 and 8500m series discrete graphics which uses all memory of 2 GB please provide information which is it.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.