Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14
Chrome OS

First experienced a green screen with purple vertical lines randomly about, and now the top half of my screen is completely gray. Variations of gray, light gray to a almost cool black.

I haven't hit the laptop up against anything, this is strictly a home laptop so it hasn't gone in my bag and banged about at all, and I have not dropped it at all. Just a home laptop where it is on a cooling pad on a desk and hardly moved away from there, I don't know whats caused it. I have insurance on this, so can this be fixed? Or do I have to send it in for help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KikiLaBrat ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.

The only thing you can do with a Chromebook is to do a Powerwash.   This will reset the Chrombebook back to factory original configuration.

Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If this fails you will need to send it in to HP for repair.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KikiLaBrat ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.

The only thing you can do with a Chromebook is to do a Powerwash.   This will reset the Chrombebook back to factory original configuration.

Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If this fails you will need to send it in to HP for repair.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The display panel has gone bad and will need to be replaced.  If the unit is still under waranty, call HP and they will send you a box to ship it to them for repair.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.