Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 ag-0502na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

One of the hinges broke on my laptop so I disassembled the laptop which included removing both hinges properly, taking off the battery and re-seating the CPU cooler with new thermal paste. Upon reassembly and connecting all the cables, the laptop was showing black horizontal lines that were evenly spaced from top to bottom of the whole display. I thought this was a connection problem so I removed the back panel again and reseated all the connections regarding the display multiple times over in hope to resolve the issue but the problem persists. The display was not damaged before or after reassembly so I can't understand why these horizontal lines are showing. 

If anyone could provide help on to what to do next I'm thinking of replacing the entire display panel but I'm concerned that it's not the display itself and some form of other issue. 

1000019608.jpg

Thankyou,

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Matty309,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already done a thorough job checking the connections and reseating everything, so the issue might indeed lie with the display panel itself. However, before going ahead with replacing the entire display panel, there are a few more troubleshooting steps you could try.

• External Monitor Test: Connect your laptop to an external monitor to see if the issue persists. If the lines appear on the external monitor as well, then the problem is likely with the graphics card or the motherboard rather than the display panel.
  • Driver Update: Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Sometimes outdated or corrupt drivers can cause display issues.
  • BIOS Update: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop model and update if necessary. Sometimes firmware updates can fix compatibility issues that may be causing display problems.
  • Hardware Diagnostics: Many laptops come with built-in diagnostics tools that can help identify hardware issues. Check if your laptop has any diagnostic tools and run them to see if they detect any problems with the display or other components.
  • Check for Physical Damage: Even though you didn't notice any damage to the display, carefully inspect it again for any signs of physical damage such as cracks or loose connections within the display assembly.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, then it's likely that the display panel itself is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.