Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys,

I have bought a HP Envy x360 15" about a year ago and last week I bought a new monitor: the ultrawide 34" Samsung LC34J791WTUXEN. This monitor has two USB C/USB Thunderbolt gates. One 85W for display and power and the second 15W for power. The information tells me that the monitor is working as a hub and that one USB cable is enough to provide display and power. 

For my job I use a HP Elitebook, which is working as expected: one cable for both. Click and play. But when I change the laptop and use my own HP Envy I only got display through the 15W power gate. When I use the 85W display and power gate I still got power, but my display is stuttering between on/off every second. So although I got display through the power gate, I want to have power and display with one cable (and understand what is going on, haha). 

I've searched online and most of the answers that I found are based on the fact that some laptops do not support display through USB. But as mentioned it does give me display so I don't think that is the matter in this specific case. I am not really into tech so maybe I am making an easy mistake. Does someone have any idea what to do? 

(I am now searching for drivers/software for the monitor (if it exists). If I can provide you with more information/details, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

*Edit: drivers installed. Not the solution..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@YVeenstra 

Your Elitebook 840 G6 has Thunderbolt™ 3 port but your Envy does not, it only has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (5 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge) port.

The HP Elitebook 840 G6 should be fully compatible with HP USB-C Ggen 5 dock. I'm using it now.

You can also shere HP USB-C Gen 5 dock for your Envy machine. I don't use the dock for my Envy but I tested it, and I can say 95%  your Envy also compatible with the HP USB-C Gen 5 dock. My Envy has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (10 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port.

Can you swap the USB-C/USB Thunderbolt dock to the USB-C Gen 5 (5TW10AA) dock ?

Now, back to your original post:  By definition, your Samsung monitor is a Thunderbolt monitor and your Envy is NOT a Thunderbolt machine. That is the problem The most you can get is DP 1.2 resolution: 3840 x 2160 / 60 Hz.

Before swapping the dock, please use Display port to connect to the monitor, not directly USB-C to USB-C.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@YVeenstra 

What is your HP Envy x360 15"  ? Does it have same USB-C port as your work machine ? What is your work machine ?

Note: All USB-C ports are NOT the same.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @Banhien, thanks for your response.

My HP Envy is: HP Envy x360 15-dr1948nd.
My HP Elitebook (work) is: HP Elitebook 840 G6. 

When I look for the specific product specifications via Google > HP website I find this:
HP Envy x360 15-dr1948nd external ports: 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (5 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (Data Transfer Only); 1 AC smart pin; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 headphone/microphone combo.

HP Elitebook 840 G6 ports: (1) USB 3.1 Type-C port (with Thunderbolt support)
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 charging)
(1) HDMI 1.4b port (cable sold separately)
(1) RJ-45 port
(1) Docking connector
(1) Headphone/microphone combo
(1) AC power port

For the Samsung LC34J791WTU monitor I found this:

• USB Ports 2
  • USB Hub Version 3
  • USB-C No
  • USB-C Charging Power N/A
  • Thunderbolt 3  2 EA
  • Thunderbolt 3 Charging Power (Port 1) 85W
  • Thunderbolt 3 Charging Power (Port 2) 15W

I'm aware that not all USB-C ports are the same. But my thought was that it has to be possible because I do get the display on the Envy. The Elitebook is working as expected. Maybe you will notice the reason behind the problem 🙂

HP Recommended

Since I can't mention you. Do you see replies?

HP Recommended

@YVeenstra 

Your Elitebook 840 G6 has Thunderbolt™ 3 port but your Envy does not, it only has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (5 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge) port.

The HP Elitebook 840 G6 should be fully compatible with HP USB-C Ggen 5 dock. I'm using it now.

You can also shere HP USB-C Gen 5 dock for your Envy machine. I don't use the dock for my Envy but I tested it, and I can say 95%  your Envy also compatible with the HP USB-C Gen 5 dock. My Envy has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (10 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port.

Can you swap the USB-C/USB Thunderbolt dock to the USB-C Gen 5 (5TW10AA) dock ?

Now, back to your original post:  By definition, your Samsung monitor is a Thunderbolt monitor and your Envy is NOT a Thunderbolt machine. That is the problem The most you can get is DP 1.2 resolution: 3840 x 2160 / 60 Hz.

Before swapping the dock, please use Display port to connect to the monitor, not directly USB-C to USB-C.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.