Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17 17-bw0000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anyone else having issues with keys on the integrated keyboard? The 4 and 5 keys at the top stopped working some time ago after a period of dodgy behaviour, and now the E key, the most used in the alphabet, is on its way out and I am having to use a bluetooth keyboard when typing. I have tried removing and reseating the keys, I have air-blasted below them to ensure that nothing is lodged there, but no good. I suspect the circuit is on its way out. Short of sending the whole thing away for repair (which I don't want to have to do), what could I try? I really love the laptop EXCEPT for this keyboard, which looks lovely but is turning into a nightmare.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Bump for visibility - anyone???

HP Recommended

Bump - still no response? HP rep???

HP Recommended

Still waiting for an HP rep to comment on this ... Day FOUR. 😉

Spoiler

HP Recommended

Hi @AliGW

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Run a keyboard test and share the results-

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

4. The Component Tests menu displays.

5. Select keyboard.

The test takes 3 min to complete.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help!

The results are attached, but are inaccurate, as they suggest that the 4 and 5 keys above the main keyboard are working, but they haven't responded for months. The results correctly show that the e key is non-functional and that three other keys did not respond - I have been noticing some flakiness there, too. Advice, please?

Image removed as requested by admin in PM.

HP Recommended

Since running the diagnostic I have been unable to restart the laptop, and gave had to resort to a complete Windows installation, which I am not happy about. Once it’s done, I shall have to reinstall all my software and reconfigure everything. This whole episode has put me off HP for life, I’m afraid. Very unhappy. 😞

HP Recommended

Luckily I left my laptop resetting overnight and it fixed itself - didn't reinstall Windows in the end, so I am back up and running. I still have the dodgy keyboard, but i am not going anywhere near the diagnostic tool again!!!

I believe the laptop is still just about under warranty (need to check) - what can I do to get this fixed without having to send the laptop away?

It's such a shame: this laptop is by far the fastest to boot and be ready for action of all the brands I've used before (Toshiba, Samsung, Dell, Acer), but this keyboard flakiness is a deal-breaker for me. My next laptop will not be an HP.

HP Recommended

Daily bump.

HP Recommended

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region for further assistance.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.