Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Samsung display that I use to extend the desktop, which has been working for months.  Some time in the past month or two the display stopped working, displaying a black screen with the floating error message "Mode Not Supported - Resolution not supported. Change the resolution of the external device."  I have tried the laptop on multiple Samsung displays in my home with the same results.  The display works fine with other inputs.  I have tried changing the resolution of the second display in the Windows System Settings, all of them have the same results.  I have also gone throught HP Support Assistant and have updated drivers, all other system updates, restored BIOS to default settings, and run HP hardware diagnostics, both quick tests and extensive tests, all report as passed.  I can move the mouse pointer off the screen onto the other display, and the primary display seems to indicate that the mouse moves on the second display as the mouse takes an equal amount of movement in the opposite direction to return the pointer to the primary display, but of course nothing is actually shown on  the second display.  I have also seen at least two other posts to HP forums with similar, if not identical, problems with no reported resolution.  Would love HP's assistance on this!  The laptop is less than a year old and should not have hardware failures already.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ AndyPilcher

I've posted something similar two days ago, regarding my two week old Envy 360, where the laptop appeared to be detecting the HDMI connected monitor (because it was specifically listed as an available audio destination), however I had a black screen on the external monitor (and no audio). Actually, that's why I signed back in, to update that I'd resolved the issue!

Here's what fixed mine:
1.) First, I had to figure out why I lost my "right click" capability on the desktop to give me the option to select the "Intel Graphics Settings" ...this turned out to be very simple (unlike what everything I found on the Internet searching this "problem")...I turned off tablet mode (!!). Voila! Right click menu was back!

2.) With the Graphics Settings again available, I opened them (this is not the Windows "Display" settings), and had to select a different refresh rate. In my case, it was 24p, because my flatpanel was set to "movie mode". Instantly, I had a beautiful, large display in front of me, and audio...albeit blasting audio. Perhaps one of your graphics driver settings have changed?

I hope this helps. I can tell you that the two weeks I've had this laptop, I'm more impressed with it every day.  Well...this was a momentary low point, but hey.  🙂

marctony

HP Recommended

Bingo!  That was it!  Excellent call.  Sadly, I even had HP Support remote into my computer after calling them directly, and they were not able to get it working, although they only went through what I would consider basic troubleshooting steps (not even half of what I originally described).  After that, they indicated my case would need to be escalated to a higher tier that was going to start incurring charges, despite the fact that I have 7 months left on the warranty.  Disappointed, I cancelled the case in the hopes that the Internet braintrust would find a solution (or I take it to a local repair shop), so thank you for coming through with flying colors!  Yes, I like the laptop as well, it's a replacement for a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro that had a number of issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.