Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer no longer recognizes that I have a built-in webcam.  When I try to run any sort of webcam software (incluidng Youcam), I get an error message that says no camera is detected.  The device manager does not show any imaging devies.  When I select "show hidden devices" it only shows printers.  Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dallas727,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Let's Resetting Your Computer, use this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289 to reset the Notebook.

Note: Make sure you take backup of your important data.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

@Dallas727,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • What is the exact model for your computer?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you download and install HP support assistant from the below link and install all the updates and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

Here is how it is done.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for reaching out-here are the answers to your questions:

1)  The last time the webcam was working properly was quite some time ago.  I can't pinpoint when it stopped working precisely because there was a period where I wasn't using it much-but I would say it's been close to a year.

2) My compyter is an HP Envy x360 m6 convertible

3)Other than Windows automatic updates, I have not made any hardware changes.

4)Yes, I have performed several troubleshooting steps I read about in other forums, but so far nothing has worked.  This has included scanning the computer for hardware changes and missing drivers, and atempting to reinstall the webcam driver.

5) I downloaded the support assistant and ran the scan, but not updates were recommended. 

HP Recommended

@Dallas727,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Let's Resetting Your Computer, use this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289 to reset the Notebook.

Note: Make sure you take backup of your important data.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

RESETTING WINDOWS WORKED!!!!! Thank you SO much.  I've tried what feels like a million different fixes that I've found online over many many months, and was starting to worry I'd have to pay someone to fix the problem.  Thank you!!!!!

HP Recommended

@Dallas727

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Well, it looks like we've run into a problem, unfortuantely.  I had Microsoft Office installed on my computer previously, but since I did the Windows reset it has been wiped!  Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this?

HP Recommended

I did all of the diagnostics through the HP virtual help and my webcam was still not working nor was it showing up in the imagining devices list. It was still under warranty as it's only a few months old, so I took it to some 'geeks' to get some help. What the HP virtual assistant does not tell you is that there is a tiny privacy switch to turn off the camera on the right side of the HP Envy. The switch also removes it from the list of devices until you switch it back on. The technician didn't even know about it but found it with the help of a supervisor. My confusion was why the HP Virtual Assistant doesn't mention this switch? It can easily get switched off when you carry or move the laptop. Stress resolved but can I ask HP to please include this information in your virtual assistant.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info!  I have an older model (I believe I purchased this one around 2015) and it does not appear to have the switch.  I watched some videos about it on YouTube and looked all over the sides and I'm not seeing anything...

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this post. I'm sorry but HP help is complete BS.  I mean how hard is it for them to mention under the help topics that your laptop comes with this button on the side. I've tried everything they suggested and then some. Finally I get to your post and it's a simple fix. Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.