cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP G5 USB-C Dock and 2 Monitors/Displays?

HP Recommended
HP G5 USB-C Dockingstation

Hi,

I am using a Macbook Pro 2017 and a HP G5 USB-C Docking-Station. I wanted to connect 2 displays, 1 via HDMI, the second via DisplayPort. Unfortunately if I do this I can only mirror the 2 displays. Also if I open Menu -> About my Mac -> Displays I can only see 1 of the screens...

I've checked the HP website and other sites again and the G5-Dock should support 2 Displays, so what's the problem here?

Thanks!

Additional Information: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06386359

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
804 770 69 222
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many hubs out there use a feature of DisplayPort 1.2 called MST to run two monitors off a single connection.  The USB-C connection to the hub is using something called Alt Mode to carry the video signal using DisplayPort protocol.

Here is a thread on Mac Rumors that talks about it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-someone-confirm-if-mst-displayport-daisy-chaining-works-on-...

If you search on "macOS and MST" you can see reports from all over that macOSonly supports MST in mirror mode.

Apple seems to only support MST over Thunderbolt at this time.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! Is there an alternative to the HP G5-Dock for a similar price which will work? I know the Belkin Docks are working but these cost more than double the HP one. 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
804 770 69 222
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I, unfortunately, do not have a list.  My best suggestion is a web search.  There are several threads on Apple's support discussions around this topic.  As well a various news sites.

The ones based on DisplayLink technology seem to work but rely on added software from DisplayLink.  Several companies are using their chips.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation