Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-dq1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new laptop screen started blinking after the last windows update.

It happens only after waking up from hibernate (i.e after complete shutdown or after sleep it works well).

It also seems to be related somehow to the touchpad. The blinks are getting worse while using the touchpad.

I am pretty much sure it's related to a specific driver update, that I got from Windows Update on April 23, 2020. It's the Intel display driver 26.20.100.7926. The problem has started just after this update. So I reverted my OS (using windows restore point), and that did solve the problem. But then windows update did install the faulty driver again... (I know I can revert again, and somehow ban this update from being automatically installed, but that is not a root cause solution)

I did all the basic things (used HP Support Assistant to make sure everything is updated, even the BIOS). All hardware is perfect.

What should I do?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the same issue after an update of the Nvidia drivers (for the NVIDIA GeForce MX250) through the HP support assistant software. Since the update the screen starts blinking when the laptop start after hibernation. 

HP Recommended

Intel support told me to install 26.20.100.8141 driver which is the non-customized version.

It seems to solve the problem.

I don't know what are the HP customizations that I miss now, but there is definitely something to look into here.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing this info. I've looked into it and installed this driver. And indeed, problem solved!

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting.  Please note: At the top of that Intel page for the 26.20.100.8141  driver it stated a newer version is available: version 27.20.100.8187. I installed that version.  It didn't work .  I then installed 26.20.100.8141 and it fixed the problem.   Glad it is fixed but I can't help but wonder if it will magically re-appear.

HP Recommended

Yap, you're right. And with the big Windows 10 May 2020 update just around the corner, it is a truly disturbing issue. I would very much appreciate the official HP response here.

HP Recommended

Any HP response on that?

HP Recommended

Thank you! For anyone else looking, this is the solution!

I also downloaded the latest display driver from intel's website and it didn't fix the issue. After finding your post I installed the older 26.20.100.8141 driver and finally it works.

What are you doing HP / Intel??? I bought a brand new laptop which is 1 day old and used the latest Windows 10 and the screen was flickering. How many customers are you going to turn away with faulty drivers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.