2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP OMEN 17-cb1070nr - Dual Monitors through Thunderbolt

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-cb1070nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I own a HP OMEN 17-cb1070nr and I am looking to expand my desktop setup with an additional monitor.  I currently have a hub which can output to two DisplayPorts and takes a single Thunderbolt input.  Will this laptop support two independent displays through the machine's single Thunderbolt port?

For reference, full machine specs are here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06657659

Thank you so much for your time and attention!

3 REPLIES 3
Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,961 21,920 969 1,007
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MajesticWhelk

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); hence from this computer model, you can extend video signal.

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MajesticWhelk
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @echo_lake ,

Thank you for your response.  I have tested this with the dock I had and I can confirm it supports video output but it does not appear to support dual output (at least to two displayport connections).  

Hub: Two individual DP downstream connections, one Thunderbolt 3 upstream connection (plugged into Omen 17)

Result: Omen recognizes the monitor plugged into the first port, but not the second

This device worked on an entry level Thinkpad for extending both monitors, so I think it may be an Omen issue perhaps.  I also updated BIOS, graphics, and thuderbolt drivers but it yielded the same result.  Are you familiar with the Omen 17's thunderbolt port's ability to output to multiple independent displays?

P.S.  I called support directly yesterday and the result was that as far as they can tell, it should be supported, but they cannot verify that directly, and that they have heard of it sometimes working and sometimes not working.  So despite their best efforts the final word was essentially "I don't know" which is slightly better than "no" in my current predicament.  Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,961 21,920 969 1,007
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MajesticWhelk

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, you won't get to know until you check the thunderbolt port configuration.
As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04723006 to know more about USB Type-C

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation