Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cu1006tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my HP Pavilion 15-cu1006tu, bought in Japan in 2019, was hit by falling furniture, and the display cracked. According to https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer/?searchtext=5XN20PA, the model number for a Pavilion 15-cu1006tu is 5XN20PA, and the display for a 5XN20PA is part number L25208-001 ("LCD PANEL 15.6 FHD BV LED UWVA").

The online document "HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC - Maintenance and Service Guide" covers the full range of Pavilion 15 models. In this Guide, below the list of part numbers for display panels is written, "Display panel conductive tape (not illustrated) L29768-001". And in the section that provides replacement instructions, there is also written "Display panel conductive tape is available using spare part number L29768-001."

In addition, the page https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c06521821, which covers the entire Pavilion 15-cu0000 model range, also has "Display panel conductive tape (not illustrated)  L29768-001".

So, the HP parts page that is specific to my model (cu1006tu, or 5XN20PA) does not mention conductive tape, but HP documentation for a broader range of models does. So, this is my first question:

1. If I am going to replace the (non-touch) display for a 5XN20PA (part number L25208-001), should I also buy "display panel conductive tape"?

And while I am on the topic, here is another question:

2. A video by HP for similar models — "Replace the Display Panel | HP Pavilion 15-cs0000, cs1000, cs2000, cs3000 Laptop PC | HP" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbdL40JS9A&ab_channel=HPSupport) — indicates (at 0:56), "NOTE: The removed stretch-release tape is not reusable." (On this subject, the "HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC - Maintenance and Service Guide" has, "Release the adhesive support strip (2) that secures the display panel cable connector to the display panel," but doesn’t state that it is not reusable.) Should I also buy some of this tape before I replace the display?

Thank you very much for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Guest_20220708

Welcome to the HP Support Community. We are really sorry that you are facing issues with your HP Pavilion 15-Cu1006tu. We want to help you with it. 

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dear Nirvana_95,

Thank you very much for your reply. My problem is not with the HP product — it is my fault that I broke it — but with the ambiguous language in the HP documentation and video. I am trying to figure out what the HP staffers who created these things meant, so that I can know whether, in order to replace my display, anything is necessary besides a new display itself.

Unfortunately, the laptop is already out of warranty. I believe that the Cu1006tu was only sold in Japan, and the instructions for replacing the display are all in English, so I do not expect that Japanese HP staff will be able to answer my question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

The tape is not reusable here. I would suggest you purchase tape as well so that you can replace the display.

I hope I was able to answer your query.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. That answers my 2nd question. But I am still left with my 1st question: Is "display panel conductive tape" necessary when replacing the display in a Pavilion 15-cu1006tu, or only in other models? 

HP Recommended

I just got it checked and it would be great if you use display panel conductive tape while replacing the display.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you. But where and how do I use it? The instructions do not discuss it. I don't think it is the same thing as the "stretch-release tape" (or "adhesive support strip"), since most conductive tape is not stretchy or double-sided, and I don't see why the tape for mounting the display to the lid would need to be conductive.

HP mentions this "display panel conductive tape" only in its support documents for a wider product range. Could it be that this part is only for use with touch screens, not with my non-touch screen? 

The difference is important, since ordinary stretch-release tape costs about $7/roll, while HP's display panel conductive tape costs $50/roll, which is half the price of the display itself.

(Actually, from the description given at https://sinocrystal.net/2021/12/10/how-to-use-conductive-adhesive-strips-on-lcd-display.html, it sounds like display panel conductive tape is something that is cut into small pieces to repair scrapes on the back of the panel.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.