Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have had similar problem to you.....my laptop is 1 year and 1 month old, model PAV DV7 4020SA UK....the screen was blank the first month after my warranty finished saprisingly.

the CAPS LOCK was blinking continuously 1 time every couple of seconds, i did all the steps that you did but still no LUCK, so i did some research over the net, m not a computer geek nor do i have any ideas of fixing computers, but i seen a UTUBE clip regarding fixing a DV7 blank screen.....

he dissembled the laptop, removed the processor, then put a penny between the processor and the heat sink, and it WORKED FOR ME.

ITS A SHAME REALLY....ITS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH HP DV7 SERIES......ITS A DESIGN ERROR too be HONEST i advised all my family and friends not TO EVER GET A HP LAPTOP, and this is certainly my last HP laptop m gana GET

HP Recommended

I need some help i have windows on a hp pavilion and when i turn it on it has starting windows but it doesn't turn on and when i press a button it beeps loud and every once in a while it says windows loading file but then it goes black screen then it goes back to the starting windows

PLEASE HELP!!!!

HP Recommended

same problem with my dv6700, stays blank but i hear the login chime so i do that then close the lid and re-open it and then i get an image but it is not taking up the entire screen. here is a video of what im dealing with:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAqwicgWmo

i have removed memory, tried multiple resolutions but 1024x768 is the only that works, it does work just fine if i plug it into an external monitor.

HP Recommended

Iam havig same problem and connecting it to an external screen shows no single!!!! Does any one have a solution for this?

HP Recommended

Another Dv7 black screen when powering on problem. Wouldn't you know, one month after the warranty expired and the laptop fails to boot.

When the power switch is turned on, screen remains black (external monitor doesn't pick up anything), fans spin up, the caps lock button shows a solid light, f11 and f12 keys are lit.

I did the hard reset sequence several times with no result.

I tested the RAM on another laptop and both chips are fine, I tested the hard drives and the data is fine and accessible.I reseated all the above but the laptop still fails.

My guess right now is the GPU and/or motherboard is fried. If there were only beep or  flashing light codes, it would be very helpful. Right now I don't have time to go taking the thing apart  more for gpu testing. I will eventually do this and probably post my findings.

Any advice that wasn't posted would be helpful. I am not afraid of taking this thing apart although I already stripped some screws thanks to my anger over a $1,200 doorstop, I have successfuly repaired pc's with similar problems in the past but I have very limited laptop experience.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

was having the same problem and the fan also started and stopped, and num lock and caps lock lights kept on blinking. this problem persisted for a few days; I HAD A FRIEND LOOKED AT IT AND HE FOUND OUT THAT NO POWER WAS GOING TO THE MOTHERBOARD, I THINK HE SAID HE HAD TO SHOCK IT AND IT IS WORKING FINE NOW.

I hope my comment will come in handy to my fellow pavilion dv7 users who have this problem as well

HP Recommended

Um, what do you mean by he "had to shock it"?  I'm assuming he didn't use a defibrillator.  Could you please offer some more technical details as to what your friend did exactly.  That would certainly be helpful.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Seems like this is a problem with this model.  I have seen other posts on this, but no fixes.  Are they still in the pc business or are they still trying to figure it out?

HP Recommended

WOW, I really which i could give you technical details but i can't as didn't have the oppertunity of watching him work on the laptop, I can only tell you what my spouse told me he said was wrong, he said that no current was going to the motherboard so he had to shock it, how he did that is a mystry to me. 

I really which i could be of more help because i understand just how you are feeling; i felt the same way before now because i searched the internet for answers/fixes and it all turn out to be futile.

I am going to do some research for you as soon as i come up with an answer i will post it for you

HP Recommended

Have the same problem with dv7-6b55er - Windows does boot normally and if I hook up an external monitor, the picture is just fine. Took the notebook to a repair shop and after a couple of days of diagnostics they told me that there was a problem with the LCD controller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.