Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre x360 has been showing this blurry screens for a while now but the problem is getting worse. It happens quite often when switching between different programs or just starting up a program. The picture below was this afternoon while doing some research. 

IMAG0288.1.jpg

The tabs become unreadable and even the text gets messed up. I updated the laptop and even tried a reset. After the reset I opened up firefox again and the first thing I saw was the same issue. How can this issue be solved? Is it a hardware problem? The laptop is only a few months old and isn't used too often due to another purchase. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@guilelter

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the screen is blurry and it's been the same for a while now,

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Please try an alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure,
if the lines do not appear on the alternate monitor, replace the display assembly on your computer,
if there are lines on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the lines appear on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS)

This would confirm if it's either a hardware failure or an issue with the graphics card drivers so we may reinstall and update the drivers to fix the issue as mentioned above.

If the issue persists on BIOS as well, please try with a TV to identify if it's the LCD or the motherboard/video card failure,

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan)

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Took a while to try it out, but I'm back with the first try. So I might not have made it clear in the first post, but it's not a problem that happens constantly. It just tends to happen when using the laptop after a while and I switch between programs/open a new tab in the browser. Before trying the use of the monitor I reinstalled the drivers and made sure everything was updated.

I've been using the laptop for the past 2 hours while connected to a monitor. I've switched between duplicating and extending the screen and I've not been able to reproduce the problem. After disconnecting from the monitor the problem occured again. From your post I assume that it is a problem with the display assembly. The laptop hasn't been in any accidents (no drops, no liquid spills etc.) and the problem actually occured the first time a few days after receiving the laptop, it has just been getting worse lately.

HP Recommended

@guilelter

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate the detailed response and considering there haven't been any damages as such,

I would recommend contacting HP Phone support (for free service, if covered by HP warranty).

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I own a HP Spectre x360 - 13-4190nd with similar problems.  Occurs mostly when resizing (with mouse <->) the window size of the webbrowser Firefox, I cannot reproduce it with Chrome nor Edge. Problems are visible in the screenshot, so no LCD problem I presume.

Regards,

Harm in the Netherlands

Display_errors.jpg

HP Recommended

@HaWie

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand the screen blurs out when resizing or zooming in and out on the web browsers,

If you've already checked with an alternate monitor and you've confirmed this isn't a bad LCD.

I recommend reinstalling and updating the display adapters to the latest version available using the Official HP website: Click here

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I contacted HP phone support by chat and the guy from support took over the computer remotely and installed a driver and BIOS update. This was about a week ago, and yesterday was the first time I got to use the laptop for a longer period of time. During this the problem didn't occur at all. I'm travelling by train a lot today and I'll be using it as well to see if it's really solved.

HP Recommended

@HaWie

Thank you for replying,

I'll be with you until this is resolved completely,

so, please keep the computer under close observation,

Take your time and keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.