Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11 (11-r010nr)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

See Video below.  All of a sudden In the past couple of months my display screen will intermittently flicker violently while using any browser, to the point that it makes it difficult to use the mouse to close the browser, which stops the flicker.  This is the entire display flickering, not just the browser.  I found that disabling hardware acceleration (Also known as GPU rendering) on each of my browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox) fixes the problem.  Unfortunately, the side effect is that the movies become very choppy and sound has pops in it due to the lack of hardware acceleration.

EDIT (01-16-2017).  Here is a video of the display flicker:

HP Stream 11 Display Flicker Video

EDIT (01-08-2017).   I see on the Internet there is a troubleshooting technique where you open the task manager while the flicker occurs.  If the task manager flickers as well as the rest of the display, it is probably a display driver problem.  If the task manager does not flicker, it is probably an application causing the problem.  So, in my case everything flickers, so it points to the video driver.  The fix is to uninstall the video driver and reinstall it, so that is what I did.

OK, now things get weird.

I deleted the current video driver in safe mode, rebooted into normal mode and I noticed that  if I wait long enough, Windows will install the following driver:

Intel HD Graphics
Intel Corporation
9-29-2016

To make sure that this was the latest driver I did a search in Device Manager for the latest driver. It installed this one (Notice how old it is)

Intel HD Graphics
Intel Corporation
10-01-2015

Then after that I did an HP Support Assistant search for new drivers just to make sure that there was not an "HP specific" driver version, but it did not find an updated one.

So, what was the result.....It did NOT fix the problem.

I then decided to uninstall the driver again and let Windows install the newer version (9-29-2016) and try that one next.

That did NOT fix the problem.

I am at a loss at this point.  It sucks as I cant't watch streaming videos.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Due to a poorly designed laptop there is no more space for Windows Updates (And HP is still selling these to unsuspecting Christmas buyers....Amazing). Believe me I performed every cleanup method and disabled all possible services. In any event I installed Linux Mint 18.3 and no more flickering, no more buffering, and the laptop is a whole lot faster.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@pjc123

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the display is flickering although it stops when the hardware acceleration is disabled on each browser,

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Please delete the graphics card drivers, enter safe mode with networking & install it from the official HP Website: Click here

Once the above steps are complete, use this link (Click here) to put your computer on low quality and high performance mode as that should resolve your issue.

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I do not get a network wifi connection with "Safe Mode with Networking".  I tried it in two different places with no luck.  Also, I don't have access to a wired network connection as I am on the road.

That said, I did tweak the graphic settings and I will see if it fixes the problem.  After reading the description of each setting,  the following are the before and after settings to maximize performance, at least as I interpret the descriptions:

Default Settings Before Changed
Application Optimal Mode = Enable
Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing = Use Application Settings
Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing = Turned Off
General Settings = Balanced Mode

Settings Modified For Performance
Application Optimal Mode = Enable
Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing = Turned Off
Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing = Turned Off
General Settings = Performance

HP Recommended

@pjc123

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

I understand you've been unsuccessful in entering safe mode, 

Here's what you need to know: Click here for the details.

the WiFi should work in the safe mode if you don't have an ethernet connection,

And it's good to know that you've made the changes, please perform all the necessary steps and check the settings again as they may reset after reinstalling the drivers, please let me know if this works out well for you.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all, those settings changes did not fix the problem (with the current video driver). I tried everything to enable wifi in safe mode with networking, yet it remains disabled.  If I choose to enable it, a popup says it is enabled, yet the network setting for the wifi is still grayed out, says it is disabled, and if I look at the properties there are not even any protocols installed.  While I am in safe mode with networking, I did notice a warning that states it can't do various things because it does not like the "Local System Administrator", if that helps.

HP Recommended

@pjc123

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I hope you've been using the F5: Press the F5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking under the safe mode option you want from the Startup Settings menu:
Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows in Safe Mode with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.

If you have and yet the issue persists, please continue the steps to delete the driver and reinstall using the normal mode instead of the safe mode (with networking) and then change the settings suggested earlier, 

Please let me know if it works after all the steps are done.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I see that the real admin account is hidden. I am in the process of activating it and will try again.
HP Recommended

@pjc123

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, everything is installed, and as a side note it actually retained the previous video settings I had modified.  It has been running good for about an hour, but that really doesn't mean much, because it is an intermittent problem.  I am going to be on this laptop heavily during the week, so i will report back at the end of the week.  If it is going to act up, it should do it by then.  Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon.  Not even a minute after my last post it started acting up again.  Well, enough abuse for one day; besides, my stomach is talking to me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.