cancel
VLIN Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Studio G5 Mobile Workstation does NOT support Linux properly in hybrid graphics!

HP Studio G5
Linux

Hello everyone,

first of to say I have regretted buying this laptop with the Nvidia GPU due to I have not managed to make it work properly running Linux and using the hybrid graphics.

Issue:

Currently running kernel 5.0.0-21-generic , on Ubuntu 19.04 and I am using the nvidia-driver-430.

HOIub4g

As long as i am using the Intel GPU the system is stable and there are three problems.

1. I am unable to use a second monitor(since nvidia gpu is off)
  2. FN keys are not working
  3. Touchpad is unreliable

The first one is my main problem as using more monitors is somewhat essential to my work.

So now what happens when I enable the Nvidia GPU.

The system is unstable and it crashes at random times with the message

NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, GPU has fallen off the bus

You can see here my post on the Nvidia community and check what I have already tried to resolve this WITHOUT any luck.

HP in the page of the laptop here claim to support Linux but from my experience this is not the case.

Finally when I am attempting to contact support from the website, it says my warranty is active but the message i get is

This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website. 

What should I do and how i should proceed now?

1 REPLY 1
VLIN Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Studio G5 Mobile Workstation does NOT support Linux properly in hybrid graphics!

anything??

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation