Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv6 7210
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

There is something seriously wrong with my built-in webcam. Although there is an image of myself and the room I'm in, it looks as if I'm underwater. To describe it another way, the image looks like it's overlaid with moving bubbles of water. You might call it a kind of shimmering, but it is definitely not the kind of clear image that a webcam is supposed to produce. I need to record a presentation, and I don't want to look like I'm behind a screen of champagne bubbles. Please help!

Under Device Manager>Imaging Devices, it says, first, HP Officejet Pro 6960, my printer, and, second, HP TrueVision HD. That's it. I've updated the driver for the webcam and get the message that the drivers are up to date.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, I suggest you try some other recording tools.

Screencastify is a free Chrome extension that can record webcam, browser tab and desktop. Visit the screencastify.com.

You can also try the Vidmore Screen Recorder. Whether your HP laptop is running Windows 10 or Windows 7/8, you can rely on it to capture your laptop screen. It can be your best webinar recording software to record both webcam videos and desktops in high quality. By the way, your webinar will still broadcast smoothly as usual after running the program.

stop-save-screen-recording.jpg

It is true that you can record online webinar free with Screencastify and other screen recorders.

I am using these two tools and they are both very good. Hope it can help you.

HP Recommended

Many thanks, James1544! I will absolutely try those programs you suggest.

I know that the TrueVision webcam is capable of producing a clear image, because I got one once when something called YouCam Cyberlink something-or-other was listed under my imaging devices, but I can't seem to get that software working again with Zoom.

I'll report back on screencastify and Vidmore.

HP Recommended

I'm afraid neither of the options you suggested worked for me. Screencastify limits one to only five minutes, and Vidmore doesn't let you try the application before asking you to pay for it.

HP Recommended

How about trying a free online recording tool?

FVC Free Screen Recorder is a full-featured online screen recording tool that enables you to capture what is happening on your computer screen without watermark. There is no time limit and 100% free.launch-free-online-screen-recorder.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks, HiLeah. I will give it a try.

HP Recommended

I received an email saying that my query had received a response from DrewMann. When I click on the link to go to his message, I get this: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action." I've tried every workaround I can think of, but that same message keeps cropping up :-(.

HP Recommended

Sadly, the same bizarre movement on the screen is still present using the FVC Free Screen Recorder as is present using Zoom 😬. It reminds me of the "snow" there used to be on TV screens in the 1950s late at night when the shows all went off the air. It's a clear wall of bubbles that stream down between the image of yours truly and the camera lens.

HP Recommended

Sorry for not solving your problem.

OBS Studio is also a very popular HD video recording tool. It is mainly designed to record video gameplay and stream online.

You can also have a try.

HP Recommended

Oh, that's nice of you, James 1544. My problem still has not been solved. I bought a new external webcam, which works fine on my Windows 10 desktop but refuses to produce an image on my HP Envy dv6 laptop running Windows 8.1. It's as if the HP machine is congenitally averse to clear imaging in any form. Thanks so much for trying!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.