Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 15-df
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been running my latptop through my HP USB-C Dock G5 for the past 6 months, today the moinitors stopped being detected, if I plug the monitor in to my laptop direct it works so isolated the problem to the docking station.

Have tried:

- Restarting, unplugging and re starting all that stuff

- Uninstalling and then reinstalling latest windows updates

- Updating latest HP BIOS

- Updating latest HP Graphics update

Compeltely lost as to what is up with it? I'm still in warranty but could do without going x number of days without monitors.

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

@RobKim Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP USB-C Dock G5 not detecting monitors HDMI or DisplayPort.

The HP USB-C Dock G5 is not supported for HP Spectre X360 15-Df. Please refer to the following link.

The HP USB-C Dock G5 will support only a business laptop.

Please contact our HP shopping team compatible docking station. They will help you.

https://store.hp.com/us/en

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with more or less the same sequence of tried fixes. This has to be due to some driver changes/Windows update. On laptop 1: fully functional until yesterday morning. Later in the same morning Windows Update made a change, the NVIDA - Display - 27.21.14.5167 got installed (verified by installation date in the updatelog). After that no external monitors connect. On laptop 2: fully functional before I went on a two week travel. The same driver got installed during my travel, and when I got back home and docked my PC no external monitors connect via the docking. In both situations, the monitors connect when directly attached to the laptops.
Of course I cannot say for sure this driver is the source, but I can say for sure there are software/driver issues causing this. One other observation is that on Laptop 2 Thunderbolt control center does not register the G5 docking, but on laptop 1 the G2 docking is registered. Both my dockings are under warranty so I can have them returned to HP and purchase from a different vendor and share my HP experience with colleagues and friends and on communities like this. Instead I would prefer that HP took this seriously and tried to resolve the issue. The HP products are wonderful, but the service/support quality is not up to that level. I find it seriously ignorant by HP to indicate that this hardware mix is only supported by the business products, while I as a premium product (that's what HP call this) user is left in the dark. After all - thunderbolt devices should be interchangeable.

HP Recommended

Yeah sounds like the same as mine, the monitors were working fine before this weekend.

HP are sending our a replacement dock so will find out if it's a hardware or software issue shortly.

HP Recommended

Several people in my organisation have seen this HDMI-over-USB suddenly stop working in the last few weeks. There seems to be an issue with a recent driver update which is breaking things. We're going to start uninstalling recent Windows/HP updates to see if this fixes things...

HP Recommended

Did this do anything? I did try completely uninstalling the other week, it seemed to start about the time of the latest Windows update, but uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for me.

I uninstalled the drivers then rengaged and it started working again but this morning my laptop went in to sleep mode and the whole thing has started again. I've had a replacement dock and it does the same thing so I don't think this is a hardware problem, or at least if it is it's with my laptop not the dock but will try HP service again shortly to see what they suggest.

HP Recommended

This is not HW. Just search this forum and you will find several people reporting the same issue: worked OK before, not anymore. I personally know 4 other people with Spectre X360 laptops experiencing the same problem. For all of them the problems started in August. On a couple of occasions, I could verify that Windows Update had been running just before the problem started.

HP is not working on this case. There has been no intelligent response here on the forum indicating that HP has acknowledged the problem and have started investigating the cause. I have been reading articles for almost 4 weeks now.

A full system restore can only be a temporary solution unless you take full control over updates to your laptop (that will start immediately after restore). For a HP Spectre, that means understanding how updates are published by HP, Intel, Microsoft and eventually NVida. Most users don’t do that.

I haven’t lost all hope yet – there is a tiny chance someone at HP reads all the different support threads, get the bigger picture and escalates this. That would not be a support technician in this forum. More likely a marketing person who knows the value of satisfied customers…

HP Recommended

I've had some semi producitve calls with HP, what I've found as a temporary work around is:
1. Shut down your laptop
2. Disconnect the dock

3. Reset the laptop by holding the power button & F6 for 20 seconds

4. Start your computer up

5. Plug the G5 dock back in

This has worked 3 times, I've also isolated that my problems start when the laptop drops in to sleep mode, the above seems to reset things enough to get it working until it goes in to sleep again.

HP Recommended

I'm afraid we gave up on this for now. It was going to be difficult to selectively roll back updates, especially since Windows doesn't offer an uninstall option for HP/Driver updates, only OS ones, and we're not sure which one exactly triggered the probvlem.

I've reverted to using the built-in HDMI port which doesn't suffer the same bug, and we're hoping that HP can offer a fix for HDMI-over-USB-C soon.

(HP Spectre x360)

HP Recommended

This is incorrect based on the information provided by tech support agent which evaluated the configuration of the g5 dock with the HP Spectre. I also have experienced exactly this same issue as described by others within the same time frame of August, 2020, and it began with an NVidia driver update that I rolled back, but didn't fix the issue. I can send you the chat with the agent prior to the purchase of the dock if that helps. Recognize that multiple users experiencing this issue within the same time frame would indicate a cause external to a configuration issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.