Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP dm3-3012nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tip:  I have version 1809 of Windows 10 installed on my ancient dm3 (circa 2010).  It works just fine

in all respects except that it was getting a daily batch of LiveKernelEvents of Code 117.  I reloaded

the video driver but that didn't solve the problem.  However, empirically I found that if you do two

things it will work around the problem:

(1)  Set "Turn off Screen" to NEVER

(2)  Set "Computer to Sleep" to NEVER

If anyone has a better solution, please post it here.  I suspect that the video driver should be updated

by HP to accomdate Windows 10 but they probably aren't going to support this old, nice computer

any longer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

With apologies to the HP Riddler, I found that updating from Windows 10 version 1809 to

version 1903 actually solved the problem of LiveKernelEvent Code 117 from occurring!

I suspect it was due to unnamed improvements to Windows 10 version 1903 that allowed the display

adapter to function as it should.  I can't rule out that when updating from one Windows

10 version to another, the updating process reloads all drivers and this could have helped

if the display adapter driver were corrupted.  However, the updating process going from

Windows 7 to Windows 10 version 1809 should have done the same thing.  In all cases

the same old driver Intel 8.15.10.2900 of 11/26/2012 was / is / and shall be used forever

it seems. Thus, the ancient HP dm3-3012nr has a new life under Windows 10.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SgrB2 I agree, that is quite ancient, nevertheless, I have a few steps that should resolve the code 117, here's what I suggest:

• Open Device Manager
  • Locate your display adapter
  • Expand it to locate the graphics card.
  • Select and Right-click on it to uninstall along with software if any
  • Reboot
  • Let the OS detect the hardware
  • Get connected with internet and update the graphics card driver either via Windows update or the manufacturer's website (not HP, the card manufacturer: Click here to verify)

Also, your device isn't designed for Windows 10, hence there are no drivers available for Windows 10 on the HP website, hence I personally suggest checking 3rd party websites such as Driverscape, etc...to obtain the drivers you need for your device. 

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

P.S: Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded the Driver Tool Kit from Driverscape.

It thinks that I do not have an Intel graphics adapter installed and gives

me the option of downloading an older (by ~ 1 year) version of the

adapter that I do have installed (i.e., Intel 8.15.10.2900).  Moreover, it

advocates updating about 21 other drivers!!  I'm going to ponder this

one a little longer and have asked Driverscape support to give me

their advice.  So far, I have not seen a 3rd party driver for this computer.

It looks like Intel or nothing....

HP Recommended

@SgrB2 As I mentioned support applications or websites that are not related to HP is something I've provided going out of my way to help you sort this, however, it'll be at your discretion, if you need any assistance regarding that, you'll need to check with them, that said, it is Intel or nothing as the application I've directed you towards only redirects you to a version of Intel suitable for your device, that's its only task, if it's doing something more than that, its something you do need to ponder on.

I'm afraid there's little to no support for this device, considering its age!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

With apologies to the HP Riddler, I found that updating from Windows 10 version 1809 to

version 1903 actually solved the problem of LiveKernelEvent Code 117 from occurring!

I suspect it was due to unnamed improvements to Windows 10 version 1903 that allowed the display

adapter to function as it should.  I can't rule out that when updating from one Windows

10 version to another, the updating process reloads all drivers and this could have helped

if the display adapter driver were corrupted.  However, the updating process going from

Windows 7 to Windows 10 version 1809 should have done the same thing.  In all cases

the same old driver Intel 8.15.10.2900 of 11/26/2012 was / is / and shall be used forever

it seems. Thus, the ancient HP dm3-3012nr has a new life under Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.