Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 15-gw0023od
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an HP Laptop 15-0023od with Windows 11 Home (OS Build 22631.3447) and the webcam is not working,  My connected camera is HP TrueVision HD Camera. I tired the troubleshooting where the camera was reset and it still shows black.  I went to device manager to see if there was an updated driver and I have the best driver installed.  Went to privacy & Security/Camera and all apps are turned on.  I am at a loss for what to do next.  The only thing that has been installed not too long ago is a solid state drive.  Since I don't use the webcam much I honestly do not know when it stopped.   Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @sheilabroderick,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you've covered many of the basic troubleshooting steps already. Since you've checked the device manager, reset the camera, and ensured privacy settings are correct, there are a few more things you can try.

• Check Physical Connections: Ensure that the camera is physically connected properly to your laptop. Sometimes, cables can come loose or connections can be disrupted.
  • BIOS/UEFI Settings: Sometimes, BIOS/UEFI settings can affect the functionality of hardware components. Check if there are any settings related to the camera in the BIOS/UEFI and ensure they are enabled.
  • System Restore: If the issue started after installing the solid-state drive, it's possible that the installation process or some related changes might have affected the camera. You can try performing a system restore to a point before the SSD installation to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Check for System Updates: Make sure your Windows 11 installation is fully up-to-date. Sometimes, new updates can include fixes for hardware compatibility issues.
  • Driver Rollback: If the issue started after a driver update, you can try rolling back to a previous version of the driver to see if that resolves the problem. Sometimes, the latest drivers can introduce issues.
  • Third-party Software: Check if any third-party software or antivirus programs might be interfering with the camera functionality. Temporarily disabling such software can help diagnose if they are the cause of the problem.
  • Hardware Issue: If none of the software troubleshooting steps work, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with the camera itself.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.