Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A program that needs hardware acceleration says that it is no longer turned on ( when it was previously working). How do I turn it back on?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DA_13OSS

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand there are issues with hardware acceleration turning off,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you make any recent hardware or software changes to your device?

Did you attempt to perform a sytem restore to undo any recent software change?

While you respond to that, here's a few steps that would show you how to enable or adjust the hardware acceleration:

The Hardware Acceleration tab in Windows allows you to specify the performance of the graphics hardware present on your PC either AMD Radeon, Nvidia Ge-force or Intel management. To disable or reduce Hardware Acceleration in Windows, first right-click on the Desktop and from the context menu, choose the Personalization option.

Then, select Display from the left panel of the window and click on ‘Change display settings’.

Next, click on ‘Advanced settings’.

turn off Hardware Acceleration

This will open the ‘Troubleshoot’ tab. If your current display driver does not allow you to change the settings, you will see the Change settings button grayed out, and you will not be able to change the settings.

disable hardware acceleration

If your current display driver allows you to change the settings, you will be able to see the Change settings button. Click on it.

disable hardware acceleration

Now, in the Windows that appears on your computer screen, move the pointer to the extreme left to disable or reduce the hardware acceleration and click on OK. If you are having problems with your graphics hardware, these settings can help you troubleshoot display-related problems.

That’s it!

This is how you can enable or change the level of hardware acceleration in Windows,

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm on windows 10 and it is completely different than that

HP Recommended

@DA_13OSS

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You are right, I did some research and found that the "Hardware acceleration" on windows 10 is always on, by default and there's no settings provided by Microsoft that would enable to turn it on or off, if the program is displaying the error as such.

The best and only thing to do in this scenario is to update the video card drivers: Click here to find and install the updates from HP, if the issue persists, you may also download the drivers from the manufacturer of the hardware to resolve the issue.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.