Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I noticed the display automatically adjust its brightness when I open different webpages with different color background, which I'd rather it not do. Can someone tell me how to disable this dynamic adjustment please? Thanks a lot!

Product Name:

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Product Number:

A5F92AV

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Thanks again!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I posted an updated set of solutions on my blog

http://itmishmash.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-do-i-disable-auto-brightness-on.html

Please let me know if you find it helpful.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have been having this problem as well.

It is a setting that is hidden in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center

I kept looking in the power settings -- it is not there.

Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings

Then Click on the AMD VISION Engine Control Center Tab in the advanced properties window that pops up

Click on the AMD VISION Engine Control Center Button within that tab. Now the AMD Window pops open. 

In the AMD Window, in the START screen, under POWER, click the PowerPlay link.

Encheck the box titled "Enable Vari-Bright" and apply your settings.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

ok since nobody else seems to have this problem and apparently no webmasters present either, i went online and check numerous solutions:

1, Fn + F11 key to turn it off

2, disable Adaptive Brightness service in management

3, change advanced power settings in power options, in the drop down menu expand display and change adaptive brightness

NONE of this works for me.

I was on the edge when on a hunch I changed power plans to high performance instead of HP recommended one, problem solved.

seriously, stop putting a hp recommendation there within which even when a service is clearly disabled, it still functions no matter what you do. It drives me nuts. If the plan setting cannot be changed, then DON'T put a change setting on its side. I'll look for other plans in the first place instead of trying to change something that cannot be changed from the beginning yet still GET the impression that it can be and has already been changed.

gez

ps., ambient light adjustment is simply annoying and useless (I doubt it decreases screen life too), wonder NE1 would actually bear with it. Consider default it being off instead of on. Whoever needs it can turn it on manually.

HP Recommended
I have this problem tooo. but i'm running windows 8 can ya help me disable it.
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I posted an updated set of solutions on my blog

http://itmishmash.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-do-i-disable-auto-brightness-on.html

Please let me know if you find it helpful.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have been having this problem as well.

It is a setting that is hidden in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center

I kept looking in the power settings -- it is not there.

Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings

Then Click on the AMD VISION Engine Control Center Tab in the advanced properties window that pops up

Click on the AMD VISION Engine Control Center Button within that tab. Now the AMD Window pops open. 

In the AMD Window, in the START screen, under POWER, click the PowerPlay link.

Encheck the box titled "Enable Vari-Bright" and apply your settings.

HP Recommended
1. Press Win+R key combo
2. Type and run: services.msc
3. Find "Sensor Monitoring Service"
4. Right click and select properties
5. Select "disable" under "startup type"
6. Finally reboot

Also disable adptive power option in advanced settings for all power plans.
Enjoy
HP Recommended

@DrStinkington: I wanted to use your advice on my Pavilion Sleekbook 15 (Windows 8), but there is no AMD Control Center, just an Intel Graphics HD 4000 with no such advanced options.

@ several others: I think this issue is NOT about "adaptive brightness" which can be accessed "via services.msc". That function adapts to the room brightness, I *think*, but this problem here is unwanted adaptation to whatever is on screen!

My laptop only does this on battery, so I hope I can find the corresponding menu soon, in which case I'll post the actual solution here.

As for the second most obvious lead: it seems it does NOT have to with the "energy saving mode", because on my laptop this one is currently selected for mains operation as well as for battery operation (I even seem unable to select anything other than this option from the drop down menu, but that's another story, I guess).

+1 for "thanks for making it easy, hp - NOT."

HP Recommended

@Set24, it is adapting to the room brightness. But if you are in otherwise dim room, your laptop's own light makes the most of the light which the adaptive lighting sensor gathers. And when you have more black on the screen, the screen emits less light, thus the sensor gathers less light, and makes the display go dimmer. Of course the sane thing to do would be to have the sensor on the back of the display, to prevent just that from happening. Otherwise the sensor cannot separate the display's light from ambient light. But that would cost quite extra money. I don't know where the sensor is located, but I assume webcam.

And for @DrStinkington, thanks! Your answer was just what I wanted. It solved the problem for me, too.

But alas, as I also have AMD graphics adapter, I cannot help you @Set24 to locate the corresponding setting in the Intel drivers.

HP Recommended

No, it is not adaptive to room brightness. I don't know why this info keeps circulating. It may be the case on some models but not all. I have found the solution to be in the energy saving menu and I'm keeping it active for battery use, but deactivated it for mains use.

It adapts to the brightness of what is being displayed.

White or otherwise bright web page, document, program GUI = bright display.

Dark web page/ documente/ GUI = display dims down after a second or so.

Now if I only could figure out how to deactivate the similar thing that's hoing on in the audio domain: a limiter/ compressor algorithm sets in below a certain volume threshold, but the circuitry doesn't seem up to it and it glitches and clicks permanently (i.e. from twice to twenty times a minute). It was fine before some hp tech dude told me to update my audio driver, BIOS etc. Now they can't figure out what's going on - on their own machine!

HP Recommended
Edit: I should add I haven't used my laptop outside under a blue sky yet, so *maybe* that theory or claim is true; but that would really mean it's a huge fail - my rooms aren't that dark really, I usually work right next to a large window at daytime.
HP Recommended

Product: Pavillion 15-e016TX 

Right click desktop >> Intel Graphic properties >> Power >> On battery >> Display power saving technology - Turn it off. You will be able to get rid of the flickering.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.