Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

How do I keep my display and computer from going to sleep after only 2-3 minutes of idle time?

This is extremely frustrating having to constantly move my mouse to wake the computer and display.

I have gone into the Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings and made the following changes under the "Plugged In" option:

• Turn of the display "Never"
  • Put the computer to sleep:  "Never"

But this does not seem to work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @JustMe14

Was there any recent windows update on your PC?

Have you tried connecting an external monitor to your PC? Does the issue persist?

Check on the BIOS page if the issue persists.

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Restore Power Plan Defaults

Another tip to keep your computer from going to sleep randomly is to restore its default power plan settings:

1. Start -> Settings -> Power & sleep
  2. Additional power settings -> Choose when to turn off the display -> Restore default settings for this plan

Open Settings & search “screensaver“. Look for search result which says Turn screen saver on or off.
What is interesting to note here that even if you don’t use a screensaver, the time value is used to lock the screen. You need to set this to None and make sure the checkbox is off so that it doesn’t require a password.

Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout:

Type WIN + R and then type regedit and hit Enter.

Now navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
Double click on Attributes and enter 2 as value.

Exit.

Now, Open Settings and search for “power plan“. Select Edit Power Settings from the result. Open the link which says change advanced power settings.  In the next window, navigate to Sleep > System unattended sleep timeout > change it to 10 minutes. This should resolve your issue.

Also, if you still have issues try updating the BIOS and other drivers to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @JustMe14

Was there any recent windows update on your PC?

Have you tried connecting an external monitor to your PC? Does the issue persist?

Check on the BIOS page if the issue persists.

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Restore Power Plan Defaults

Another tip to keep your computer from going to sleep randomly is to restore its default power plan settings:

1. Start -> Settings -> Power & sleep
  2. Additional power settings -> Choose when to turn off the display -> Restore default settings for this plan

Open Settings & search “screensaver“. Look for search result which says Turn screen saver on or off.
What is interesting to note here that even if you don’t use a screensaver, the time value is used to lock the screen. You need to set this to None and make sure the checkbox is off so that it doesn’t require a password.

Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout:

Type WIN + R and then type regedit and hit Enter.

Now navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
Double click on Attributes and enter 2 as value.

Exit.

Now, Open Settings and search for “power plan“. Select Edit Power Settings from the result. Open the link which says change advanced power settings.  In the next window, navigate to Sleep > System unattended sleep timeout > change it to 10 minutes. This should resolve your issue.

Also, if you still have issues try updating the BIOS and other drivers to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello A4Apollo,

Brilliant!

This was my problem:

"Open Settings & search “screensaver“. Look for search result which says Turn screen saver on or off.
What is interesting to note here that even if you don’t use a screensaver, the time value is used to lock the screen. You need to set this to None and make sure the checkbox is off so that it doesn’t require a password."

I set the timer to something reasonable, i.e. 15 minutes (it was set to 1 minute) and picked a cool screen saver.

Works perfectly now!!

Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

@JustMe14, thanks for the update.

I'm glad to know your issue is resolved after trying out the steps.

Write back to us if you have any queries. We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,
Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.