Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I want to know if the "num lock" is on so that I can use the number pad on the keyboad. Currently, I don't know if it is on or not until I type a number and get rejected because there is neither any light lit, unlike "caps lock" nor any icon or message informing the "num lock".

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist, but I would need your product number.To find product number, please click here.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!  My laptop is: HP Pavilion Notebook, 15-ab243cl with Windows 10, Intel Core i5, touch screen

I hope I'm giving all info you need to answer my question. Thanks again

HP Recommended
Hey NorahM,

Thanks for the information up date. To alternate between this numeric function and the navigational function (indicated by the directional arrows on the keys), press the num lk key. It shows you this on page 18 on your service manual.

When you start the Notebook the Number keys should be on by design.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Replying that one should press the num lock key to turn the num lock off and on doesn't answer the question.  The questions was how to tell whether it is currently on or off.  I guess that means the answer is actually that there is no way to tell.  This key should have an LED like the speaker off/on key?  Disappointing.

I have an  HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab292nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

HP Recommended
The answer is a fob off and does not answer the question asked. The right answer is "sorry there is no way to tell but by default it's on when you boot up. I will send feedback to our designers and hopefully they will put a light there in future" I have that problem on Microsoft Flight Simulator where you need to switch num lock on and off and you lose track of where you are
HP Recommended

where I find the big problem of not having a indication numbers lock light is. I have a set of numbers in some of my passwords and don't know if they are on or not !!. I can be locked out if it's wrong more then 3 times.

HP Recommended

All I can say is "Wow!!!...really!!??"  How in the world did someone decide it was a good idea NOT to put a light on a laptop indicating that the "num lock" is on or off?  I know you guys thought of "indicator lights," because there's one for the "caps lock."  Well, just in case anyone at HP has thought of something called a "suggestion box," maybe you could print a copy of this and drop it in.  ALWAYS include an indicator light for the "num lock" key on any computer you build!  Okay, that's all I've got for now.  Thank you! - Barbara

Barbara R.
HP Recommended

HP has designed the laptop without given the indicator option in Num Lock is certainly not expected and acceptable; however, in order to provide some relief at least they should upgrade the hardware software option wherein we can see the Num Lk On or Off option on screen Task Bar.

HP Recommended

Excellent suggestion! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.