Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17by2501na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I make Number lock ON as the default at boot up ?

I once asked this same question about our previous HP laptop but never found a method which worked, and I have also researched this on the net for our present laptop and also failed to find one either.

We have had an HP laptop before and bought another because we were pleased with the reliability of the first, but being unable to make number lock ON the default is pretty bad, particularly when there is no indicator for the number lock either, it is an absolute PITA..... Come on HP, how much would it cost to put one on !

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@MadWorld2020,

Enable Num Lock on the Windows 10 Lock Screen

It can be annoying if you are a frequent user of the number pad keys when you log into your PC as by default, NUM lock is turned off on the logon screen. This is even more annoying now that Windows 10 is promoting logging in with a PIN when everyone goes through the initial setup. 

The easiest way to enable number lock on the Windows 10 lock screen is to download and import this registry key by double clicking it after download. 

Alternatively, If you want to do it the manual way, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start Button and type in regedit and hit Enter. 

2. Navigate through HKEY_USERS, .DEFAULT, Control Panel and then Keyboard. 

3. Right click on InitialKeyboardIndicators and select Modify. 

4. Set the value to 2147483650 and click OK.   Alternatively, some user have had success with just setting the value to 2.

5. Reboot and number lock should now be enabled. 

Still not working?

There appears to be a bug with the boot process properly reading this setting when the fast startup feature of Windows 10 is enabled.  Fast startup is a useful feature that shaves a few seconds off your boot time by hibernating a portion of the boot process.  As this hibernation image was created prior to the InitialKeyboardIndicators setting change, that may explain why the updated value is not properly loaded. You can turn off fast startup in Power Options and turn it back on later very easily. 

1. Click on the Start Button and type in Power Options.

2. Select Choose what the power buttons do. 

3. Hit Change settings that are currently unavailable.

4. Under Shutdown settings, remove the check next to Turn on fast startup and then hit the Save changes button.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that, I have only just noticed your reply because I assumed HP would send me an E mail if my query was answered,. if they did it went missing !

Your solution appears to have worked even though the code in the InitialKeyboardIndicators was already 2147483650. It could be changing the power settings has made it work ? 

I say appears to work because I have been here before thinking I'd solved it..... I will report back in a week or two when I can be more certain !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.