Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My EliteBook 840 G4 laptop is equipped with USB-C and DisplayPort, and can also be connected to an HP docking station.

I would like to connect two external monitors in extended mode (not mirror) and I understand that the USB-C port on this laptop is just a simple one and doesn't support video over USB-C. If anyone has successfully tried to connect a monitor over this port, I would love to know. I've tried a powered Dell USB-C to HDMI & DVI docking station and it didn't work.

Assuming that video over the USB-C port doesn't work on this laptop, I have following questions:

1) Does DisplayPort support multiple monitors in extended mode? If yes, does anyone have any examples of DisplayPort-to-multiple-HDMI hardware that can be used?

2) On HP's EliteBook 840 product page, in the "Displays support" category, it is stated that...

• (3) independent displays supported if used with HP UltraSlim Docking Station
  • NOTE: Sold separately or as an optional feature.
  • Supports dual display through the dock

Does anyone know the exact model of the HP Ultraslim Docking Station that works with the EliteBook 840 G4?

The HP website displays docking stations with models D9Y32AA and D9Y32UT, but none of them specifically lists the EliteBook 840 G4 as compatible.

Thanks! 👍

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TomPhan 

The following specs shows

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291/document/c05349510

You can use

(3) independent displays supported if used with HP UltraSlim Docking Station

also there is a list of compatible docking stations on page 72 of the following document

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05240684

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.