Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Victus by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-d0000 (2V8U5AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

If you do not know. System reserves half of your RAM for the video card/s

The problem

I have 32 memory in my laptop Victus 16

But only 16 gb of RAM is available for me.

Because video cards, primary integrated Intel card, reserving 16 gb of my ram, and what is more stupid, don't use it, use just half of its own memory, 1 gb.

I tried to find the answer on the web, and all tech experts said that everything is normal with this behavior,  shared memory is always available for you, but NO, it is not

When your app, I'm using Adobe apps and blender, with chrome, all together usually, and when apps using more than half of my ram (16 gb) the laptop got usual problems of the low RAM. Freezes, restart of the explorer, Blender and photoshop saying that I don't have available RAM,

Stop, I have 16 Gb of RAM, as Microsoft, Intel, HP say is FREE.  but why I can't use it?

And the question is there any way how to manually limit the shared memory size?

without using BIOS for sure, because  this setup is hidden there 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @1mrpaul1 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you limit the shared memory size of your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

• May I know from when are you facing this issue?
  • Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

I recommend you follow the below steps to reduce the video dedicated memory.

Go to Start menu and click  Settings. Navigate to System and click Display on the left sidebar of the System Settings.

Scroll down the Display menu and click on the option Display adapter properties at the bottom of the box.

In a new pop up window, you will see the adapter type used on your system and other graphics information in the Adapter tab. Check the total amount of allocated space for the dedicated video RAM under Adapter information and you can change it according to your preference.

Method 2: Increase the dedicated video memory on your graphics card from BIOS

This is the recommended method to reallocate the memory of VRAM allocation. However, this doesn’t work for all the motherboards, and you may not be allowed to reallocate memory on your PC all by yourself. Still, you can try to change the BIOS settings and check if you have enough privilege to change the amount of dedicated video RAM on your PC.

Restart your PC and press the F10 key repeatedly during the bootup.

In the BIOS menu, go to Advanced Features or similar option.

Now click on video/ Graphics settings or VGA Share Memory Size. If you don’t find these options, look for a category with a similar option.

Adjust the option that best suits for your task. The default memory allocated to the GPU is usually 128MB. You can scale up or down the preallocated VRAM.

Save the changes and restart your system.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello!

We haven’t heard from you in a while, this post is with reference to the thread you had created at your  

friendly neighborhood (HP Support Community). 

I would like to know if the resolution we provided worked for you? If you have any other queries, feel free to reply at any time, and thank you for being a valuable member of our HP Family. 

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post. 

Have a great day ahead! 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

No, the advice that you've offered, doesn't work. I said that I'm on laptop Victus 16, with cutted BIOS, without the ability to change vram size and even without Advanced menu

HP Recommended

I understand that you are looking for the Advanced Tab in the BIOS.

Please note that your Notebook has already been set and tested for optimum performance.

HP does not recommend making any changes in the BIOS as this might damage the Product.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I do not think that changing shared memory size can damage the device. It can be placed on the system menu. I remember such a setting in my old Lenovo laptop

And as I described, the system and BIOS are working wrong and don't have optimal performance. 

So, probably HP should think about this question more

The current setting, to get half of the RAM, to the video card, was actual with 4 or 8 gb of RAM, but when the device has 32gb, killing half of the memory, this is just a criminal

Most sad, if I will spend much more money, and will replace my current RAM with 64 gb, I will have just 32 gb of RAM, it is crazy

HP Recommended

I can totally understand your callout here. However, RAM allocation is being configured only via BIOS settings which are under the 'Advanced' tab. If the 'Advanced' option is hidden for you, that means that HP does not recommend making any changes in the BIOS.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.