Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I would like to use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox, is it possible to do that through HDMI?

I have seen online that you need a 'video capture device', but I really don't want to buy anything.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Well you can use your laptop as a monitor, you'll need to connect it to the other device using either an HDMI cable or a VGA cable.

HP Recommended

Yes, you can use an HDMI cable to connect an Xbox to a laptop, and then use the laptop as a monitor for the Xbox. You can connect all Xbox models except the original Xbox using an HDMI cable. Here's how:

1. Power off both the Xbox and laptop.
  2. Plug one end of an HDMI cable into the Xbox's HDMI output port.
  3. Plug the other end of the HDMI cable into the laptop's HDMI input port.
  4. Turn on both devices.
  5. The laptop should automatically recognize the Xbox as an input source.
  6. Go to Settings on the Xbox controller.
  7. Navigate to Profile & System > Settings.
HP Recommended

Hi, @thegmsk 

You cannot use your notebook's display as a monitor.

The HDMI port is output only.

HP Recommended

Most likely -- no.  Why? Because the HDMI jack on the laptop, and any other video jack (if any) are OUTPUT only.  You need a video INPUT jack to use it as a monitor.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.