Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp specter
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought the HP Spectre x360 13-from a local computer shop. I am okay with the performance however cannot say the same regarding the screen. The screen has uneven viewing angles and tint even when i try to see it square on. The light reflect in it as rainbow diamond patterns (that are especially noticeable on a white background). By comparison, the display on my hp 5 year old Laptop is better  than the one on the Specter.

Upon reading the forums, apparently this is a common problem with the Sure View filter. I didn't know that Sure View results in such a poor quality when I ordered the item and unfortunately the computer shop will not accept it back since this is "by design". I tried everything and needless to say that I am very disappointed with the display on a supposedly premium device that costs 1500 EUR! 

if hp is listening to their customers could you please provide a solution or a way to change it to normal screen? You contact numbers for Europe are useless because they are only available in local language, and as an English speaker living in Europe they are of no use to me.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kazfar 

What is your HP Spectre x360 13 ? Probably it has HP Sure View Integrated Privacy Screen.

https://www.engadget.com/2017-10-04-hp-spectre-x360-13-hands-on-spectre-13.html

Please try

• fn + f2: Turns the privacy screen on or off.
  • fn + f5 or fn + f6: Adjusts the privacy screen for well-lit or darker environments.
  • fn + p: Turns on HP Sure View with the highest privacy setting.

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130bPdQvH3w

We need EXACTLY what is your machine to be able to get the right way if the above ways did not work. Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear BH,

thanks for your reply. I tried all these things already but they didn’t helped. I know how to use the privacy screen. My issue is even when its turned off and try to use the laptop i cannot see the screen normally as visibility is so poor that even when i see the screen square on, the angles are looking grey (maybe because the screen is with sure view) and its not completely  clear and it’s impossible for me to concentrate on it and results in headache. Having said so is there any solution for this? I happy to swap this screen with normal screen which will be more usable and i will be able to get the best out of my such an expensive purchase.

Lastly, the model number is HP 13-AW0002NZ

thank in advance for your help

best regards

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, it seems HP is trying to force people to buy a new laptop every year or two by giving only their horrible "Sure View" IPS panels, or the short-lived OLED with burn-in round the corner, panels.

If you want a plain old IPS WITHOUT Sure View, you have to buy last years model.  It's the biggest disappointment of the year for me to have this brand new, all-powerful ultra-portable with horrible screen by design.  Also, they offer to take it back only with a 15% restocking fee, which is about $200 +/- depending on whether you got it on sale or not from hp.com.

One tech support guy who seemed to know what he was talking about confirmed to me that the "privacy screen" technology is some kind of layer in the display that physically blocked the light from angles.  so the marketing rubbish about "turning it off" is exactly rubbish, it cannot be turned off.  The privacy filter actually provides no privacy, the screen doesn't go silver or copper like in the demonstration videos.  It just gets darker and darker the more extreme the angle, yet you can still look closely and read everything.

The only way to prevent people from reading your screen is to turn the screen off.... if you make it dark enough that you can't read anything, then mostly likely your neighbor won't be able to either, but the only sure way is to just turn the screen off.

Basically Sure View technology does nothing for your privacy, but will be a constant source of irritation.  Making your screen look dull and dark from any but the perfect head-on angle.  Considering that this is not a commonly wanted feature, a feature that most people never wanted or asked for, and only a few people would ever need, it seems rather clear they are just trying to push people to OLED and abandon IPS.

Who wants to replace the screen in their laptop as often as they do in their phone? or replace their phone as often as they replace their laptop? Anyone?  Well, if that's you, the HP is the company for you!

I absolutely love the Spectre line, but I do not want OLED, and I hate this Sure View garbage.  Might be time to start looking at alternatives more closely, but there really aren't any.

If someone could post instructions on how to remove the privacy filter portion of a Sure View screen... or if that's impossible due to fusing, then point people in the direction of aftermarket IPS panels that can be swapped out for the Sure View panel, that would be fantastic!

Meanwhile, shame on HP for false advertising, and financially twisting unsuspecting buyer's arms into paying exorbitant restocking fees, or switching to OLED prematurely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.