Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy m7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I got a home projector to connect with my laptop via HDMI, but the computer does not recognize the signal. I have tried all the possibilities so far: try different projector model/brand, different HMDI  cable, updating/rolling back/ disabling graphics drivers, updating BIOS, trying different laptops.

I narrowed down the problem to the driver not being compatible with the signal from the projectors under Windows 10, version 1803. The projectors work perfectly with other laptops, and my laptop works great with second monitors/TVs. Bottomline, the driver is incompatible. I also requested generic drivers from Intel, but Windows 10 does allow me to use them. I need to confirm that this problem has no solution so I can move forward and return the projector. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

So other computers drive the projector using the same HDMI cable and the laptop drives other screens using that same HDMI cable? Have you tried the Windows key + p key method to access the projector as second screen? If none of this works I releuctantly say return the projector although I have not come across this issue. Generally the PC will not differentiate between a flat display and a projector. What resolution is the projector? Perhaps you need to enable a custom resolution in the video card driver settings

https://appuals.com/how-to-create-custom-resolutions-on-windows-7-8-or-10/

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer,

I agree that is strange that the laptop recognises the TV/Monitor but not the projector (with has a resolution up to the same as my laptop, 1960x1080). I already returned one projector, got a new one and the same result. It seems that many people are having similar issues product of the Windows updates for different graphics cards/laptop models and the only common denominator is Windows 10. I could create a new partition and have a secondary OS just for the projector but I want official confirmation from HP first.

HP Recommended

HP is not going to officialy comment on compatibility of their product with anyone else's product so if its not working for you we have to assume its not working I guess. 

HP Recommended

I understand. I guess what I am trying to say is that they might have already run into this problem and might have useful input regarding the driver compatibility. It seems to me that most projectors use the same technology to connect via HDMI and then the question is how is that different and less compatible as a TV/Monitor. Thanks for the help,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.