Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Ok, 17 pages and I haven't seen a real answer. Also, the lack of help from HP, Intel, or Windows, has left many of us working on a PC that isn't 100%. 

I used to work for HP, but like many of us "good" agents, we were outsourced by an overseas company that knows little to nothing about computers. I still to this day recommend HP products to everyone simply because I know that they can indeed be a great investment. However, this issue has almost completely changed my mind.

I first found out about this Graphics Card issue back in December 2015 when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 on my HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC.  At first everything seemed fine, but after doing a small amount of gaming I got the dreaded message, "Your Graphics Card has stopped working and has recovered". 

Over the next week, I had it happen 15-20 more times. I knew then something was off. After a weekend of research and finding no known resolution by Intel, HP, or Microsoft, I went back to 8.1 in hopes that within a few months there would be a fix.

July 29th 2016, was the LAST DAY to upgrade to Windows 10 and I thought, maybe.. just maybe they fixed the issue. As this was my last chance to upgrade, I decided to give it another go only to find the issue hasn't been resolved.

HP needs to seriously take a look at their graphics card drivers because they are falling wayyy behind from what Intel is offering.  As it is now, when you try to download a driver from intel, the PC will fail to install it as it is not a signed driver from HP.  

NOW.... LET'S SEE IF I CAN FIX YOUR PROBLEM

Keep in mind this is just what worked for me and after testing it rigourously for 24 hours, I am happy to report I have had no issues.

First, you need to download the newest Graphics driver from intel.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?...

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26099/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Window...

Upon downloading the .zip file, you will need to extract it. DO NOT RUN THE SETUP YET!!!!

Go to your Device Manager and find your Graphics Driver (listed under Display Adapters)

Right click on the driver and click on Properties. Then go to the driver tab. Select the UNINSTALL driver and SELECT the checkbox to delete the software.  

Once this is done... DO NOT TURN OFF THE PC! It will just reinstall the driver you just uninstalled and put you back at square one.

Instead, while inside device manager still, right click on the top option within the device manager window (SHOULD BE YOUR COMPUTER NAME) and choose the SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES OPTION.  

Once that is done you should see a driver pop up saying its a VGA display or something similar with a yield sign to locate a driver for it.

You are now set up to install the newest driver from intel.  Go back to your downloaded driver you got from intel and run the setup.exe in the file folder.  It should walk you through installing the new driver. Once that is done, it will prompt for a system restart.  Do so, when you come back online, you shouldn't have this issue again. 

Keep in mind, I have only tested this for about 24 hours and everything I threw at it, it handled perfectly where it would crash before. Hopefully this helps those having issues. I can safely say that I'm happy with my HP Windows 10 PC again!

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Brandon, Thanks for the info. As you found out HP is totally avoiding any of the issues with the Microsoft 10 software. If you search you will find this and other issues with Microcrap's software. WIFI is a big issue and with each forced upgrade the problems get worse. I have called Microsoft support multiple times and they suggested my mother boards were loose, Overheating, The wrong motherboard installed by the PC company, Not enough disk space, the previous OS was defective ( ???) The PC is not compatible with the latest Microsoft OS ( HPZbook 64b ?????) They even suggested I revert back to 8.1 I told them it had 7 on it prior to 10 and they said the problem. Asking how they suggested I call the PC company.

Calling HP was worse. They suggested the PC was out of warranty. I told the support person i had 2.5 more years. they then said i must have downloaded a phoney version of 10. I told them NO it was validated by Microcrap. The support person then suggested I wipe the computer and reload 10. I asked how that would fix drivers from Intel and others that were never tested with 10. They then stated that Microsoft did not allow the PC company's to test before release.

I asked why we could not load drivers suggested on the HP blog. They said only drivers released by HP were allowed.

SOOOOOO the circle continues.

I will try your suggestions, hopefully it will work. My only concern is when we are forced to accept a new update from Microsoft it will revert back as it has in the past with other releases.

Thanks for the info

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

YES....so far so good. I'm thinking the explanation on how to properly remove the old driver was key. I have tried to replace the old driver before by over writing  the old driver with the new driver. This method, along with the newest driver appears to work.  THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

I managed to fix it by completely wiping my HDD and installing Windows 10 from scratch (clean install).

This was unfortunate as my free copy of windows 10 was registered assuming that I had upgraded from Windows 8. I ended up paying another $200 for a license.

Lesson learned, no more HP laptops again.

HP Recommended

Why did you pay $200 for a Windows 10 license? You activated it once, the key of the same gets embedded into the motherboard. So, you should have uninstalled the OS and then installed Win 10 from the .iso file downloaded from MS.

HP Recommended

How did you uninstall the older driver and which version and from where did you install the newer version?

HP Recommended

Just follow Brandon's email, .....exactly.  It worked for me. 

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP run around blog!!

As amazing as it sounds HP just released a pop up when searching for windows 10 fixes that unfortunately states not all of their computers were tested for windows 10. Nice now they tell us.

this is the link they give. Although they list a lot of computers they really don't give detailes on how to fix issues except to point to another link with suggestions on downloads that many tried and found do not work.

Keep in mind the problems they have along with other computer makers is not just what this blog lists but many other issues including WIFI and other connectivity issues.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

HP Recommended

Check this-

https://customercare.intel.com/ICS_CommunityCaseDetailsPage?lang=en-Us&id=500U000000S7VHHIA3

I have done that few months back but the system downgraded the drivers 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.