Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended

On 4/17 the HDMI port was working and I attempted to create a restore point as you recommended. Today, the HDMI port did not work and I attempted a system restore. Unfortunately, I could not do a system restore because the system could not find the 4/17 restore point I 'thought' I created. I checked to confirm System Restore was enabled and sufficient disk space was allocated, I then successfully created a restore point for today, and confirmed that restore point appeared. 

Tomorrow, I will check the HDMI port....if it works I'll create a system restore point to use when HDMI fails again. If the HDMI port doesn't work tomorrow morning, I will attempt another BIOS refresh. You'll recall from my earlier communications that sometimes the HDMI port will resume working after a BIOS refresh, but sometimes not.  The point is I have committed to try your 'system restore' suggestion....but until I create a system restore point to a time when the HDMI port is working, I will not be able to make progress by doing a system restore the next time the HDMI port fails. 

HP Recommended

@Gwenster1,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Do let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had been using the HDMI port successfully about once per day since 4/25 when I created a system restore point. The HDMI port transfer failed just now. I was about to do a system restore to the 4/25 point BUT the restore point was no longer in the system. I am totally baffled about how the restore point I created (and confirmed) on 4/25 could be MIA when I needed it tonight. I created a system restore point and confirmed it just now, but it won't do me any good troubleshooting the intermittent HDMI transfer failures until the HDMI port corrects itself and I get a good restore point. Then I can once again wait for the HDMI transfer to fail so I can try 'restore' to see if that fixes it. 

For what it's worth, this issue feels like an intermittent hardware fault....but I will do what you ask and chase it from a software standpoint. 

HP Recommended

@Gwenster1 Well, if the system restore is MIA, there are traces of a software malfunction and if the suggested steps don't help track down this monstrosity, we may need to perform an extensive scan to confirm this isn't a hardware malfunction, to be on a safer side:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I like the way you're thinking...I'm not quite there yet, but let me bring you up to date and provide a synopsis of the issue history before I take further action....

As I said, the restore point I created about a week ago when the HDMI transfer was working couldn't be found when I looked for it a few days ago.

The restore point I created a couple of days ago when the HDMI transfer wasn't working couldn't be found when I looked for it yesterday.

The restore point I created yesterday when the HDMI transfer worked fine couldn't be found this morning. 

Each time I created a restore point I confirmed its presence in the restore list. When I returned to the restore list 24+ hours later the list was empty. 

This morning I applied HP's newest UEFI in response to a notice from HP.

After successfully applying the new UEFI, I checked the restore point list and, as expected, I found the restore point created when applying the new UEFI.

Annotation 2020-05-09 100010.jpg

Next, I took about 1/2 hour to create this message to you....but before sending it I decided to see if the above restore point was still there. Surprise! It's Gone......

Annotation 2020-05-09 102007.jpg

Now I'm juggling two questions....

1. the original question....Why is my HMDI transfer intermittent?

2. the new question....Why are my restore points disappearing? 

Let me chew on this for a day or so, continuing to monitor my HDMI transfer attempts daily (assuming I can make the time for it. )

I'll get back to you. 

HP Recommended

I attempted an HDMI transfer at about 6 PM. It failed. The restore point list is empty.

I'll try to run UEFI routine tomorrow or Monday and let you know what happens.

HP Recommended

This sounds a lot like the problem I am having with my HP Envy x360, although I have not tried as extensively to correct the problem. I have sent the laptop in for repairs twice, once solely for the HDMI port issue, and once because of the same issue as well as the laptop not powering on at all. Both times the laptop was returned, I found the HDMI issue still to exist. 

My solution lately has been to update the BIOS about every other time I want to use the HDMI port. The strangest thing is that it has been the same BIOS update, from 12/2019, that I've had to download. 

I'm wondering if the OP has had to download the same BIOS update multiple times to get the HDMI port working. My disappearing BIOS updates sound like the OP's disappearing restore points. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Here's the latest update....
I ran UEFI from 12:45 PM today until I manually stopped it at about 4:20 PM.

Eight iterations, no failure IDs...

IMG_20200510_155447081.jpg

For now, I'll roll back on my opinion that the HDMI transfer failures 'feel' like intermittent hardware. Seem the UEFI would have picked that up. 

Restore points I create and restore points automatically created  continue to disappear from the restore points list. I create them, I confirm they're in the list, I return to the list about an hour later....and they're gone. I have already checked my process using an 8 year old laptop running Windows 10. Restore points I create on that old machine don't disappear so I think my procedure is good.

Annotation 2020-05-10 173711.jpg

After I post this update for you, I'll Google "why do my restore points disappear?" and see if that gets me anywhere. I'll let you know if I learn anything. 

HDMI transfer is working tonight.

I

HP Recommended

Today's update....

Trouble-shooting both problems. 

HDMI port transfer is not working today.

Restore points continue to disappear. 

I found an article about disappearing restore points and performed all checks. At one point I thought I had found the problem...'History' was disabled in the System Restore task.....

Annotation 2020-05-11 153549.jpg

I enabled 'History' as shown here....

Annotation 2020-05-11 154025.jpg

Then I created a new restore point and confirmed it was listed.....

Annotation 2020-05-11 175840.jpg

After 5 minutes the restore point was still in the list. 

After15 minutes I looked again and the list was empty.

I'm out of ideas. Please advise.

HP Recommended

@Gwenster1 You may want to backup all your personal information into an external storage device and perform a reset to resolve the issue: click here for steps, as it looks like the OS may have a glitch or an issue that's causing the malfunction.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.