Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, I have had this PC for about 4 years now. I am starting to have keyboard issues. My problem is that my letter "O", the "period/>" button, my letter "L" button and the number "9" above the letter "P" are very inconsistent. In other words, sometimes when I press just once, the letter pops up as normal, but sometimes I press the same buttons and nothing appears. I have to press the button many times to get it to show up just once, or sometimes no matter how many times I press, nothing appears. This has only started happening to me just recently (about a few months ago). All my PC software is up to date. As I was typing this, the buttons worked like normal again, but I have been having issues all day long. I would like some help on this matter.

Thank you,

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You can try to download the keyboard driver again or do some cleaning work on the computer, but I think the big reason is that your keyboard is broken, you may need to replace the keyboard to make it work properly

HP Recommended

Good morning, I would like to discuss the different possible solutions you mentioned. For the first option of downloading the keyboard driver, how do I access that page to download the driver? Second, is there a safe and effective way to clean the keyboard (so the buttons and small keyboard parts do not get damaged). As for the third option, are laptop keyboards replaceable? Or do you mean to use an external keyboard/on-screen keyboard? I would safely assume that the keyboard problem is a cleaning issue because I have not had any problems with the buttons as I was typing this message.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I can answer that all of your laptop keyboards are replaceable, but not everyone is good at replacing them, because the keyboard is likely to be damaged during the replacement process, as for your intention to clean the computer, if you have experience in disassembly, You can do it yourself, otherwise I suggest you send it to the maintenance department to do a cleaning

HP Recommended

Hello again, I think I may have a solid reason why the keyboard buttons were acting up. I think that it may be a heat issue.

For example, I play videogames on this computer, and obviously, since it has an NVIDIA graphics card and a good processor, I can game easily, but also the PC heats up because of the additional power. My theory is that maybe the heat after a while may cause throttling on the keyboard (especially the 9, O, L, and >/. buttons) because that is where most of the heat is concentrated on. To make this short, I think gaming less may be the solution because when the PC is operating at its normal temperature, the keyboard works fine. P.S. the PC itself does not overheat, I have a cooling pad and the PC cooling settings active. My apologies for making these posts so long. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.