Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Virtual Agent at 9:07:59 am
You
I have set up two external monitors for my brand new HP Envy 15 laptop. Everything works fine, except that the laptop fails to detect the monitors on startup. So I have to unlink the cables and reinsert them one by one to get access to each of the external monitors. I'm assuming that the laptop is supposed to find the monitors automatically, but it doesn't. Pressing the 'detect' button in display settings does NOT find the monitors, no matter how many times I try. I'm using two brand new thunderbolt HDMI connectors and all drivers are fully up to date. Got a fix for this anyone? Please ........!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem has been fixed for now by running one monitor with a standard HDMI cable and the other monitor from one of the thunderbolt ports. With this set up, all screens are immediately detected at startup. That will do me for now, but I'll bear in mind in future your advice on HP adapters.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@EmuWren48 wrote:
...  no matter how many times I try. I'm using two brand new thunderbolt HDMI connectors and all drivers are fully up to date. Got a fix for this anyone? Please ........!

@EmuWren48 

What is your HP Envy 15  machine ? I don't think your machine has 2  Thunderbolt™ 3 ports. It may not have Thunderbolt™ 3 port at all.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It has two Thunderbolt ports adjacent to the HDMI port. I'm not completely on top of the jargon, but the cables being used with those ports are both Alogic Ultra USB-C to HDMI. They're working fine as I type this message. It's just that the monitors are not detected at startup.

HP Recommended

@EmuWren48 

What EXACTLY is your HP Envy 15 machine ? Looks like it is NOT an Envy. Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Please stop wasting my time Banhien. It is an Envy. It has "ENVY" written on the top. If you have suggestions to help with my problem, please go ahead. Otherwise, please refrain from posting.

HP Recommended

@EmuWren48 

Please do not waste my time to. I did ask: What EXACTLY is your HP Envy 15 machine ? Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Is that clear ? I own a latest HP Envy (but it came from the US, not any store in Australia therefore I need to know what is your machine.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Ok. Sorry about the impatience - I'm really frustrated with this problem.

The Product Number is   1B9F4PA#ABG

HP Recommended

@EmuWren48 

The code is invalid, on both sites: Australia and The US

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=1B9F4PA

Sorry, I would like to know information from HPSA, it should show 3 lines

• Product name
  • Serial number  (please do not post)
  • Product number

Please do not post s/n but I need Product name too. With Product name, I can send you a manual to check its available ports.

Updated: Looks like you bought your machine from Harvey Normal, It is an HP Envy x360 15-ee something

My machine is an HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ee0047nr, its specs

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c06657642

It only has

• 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge);
  • 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge);
  • 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate;
  • 1 HDMI 2.0;
  • 1 AC smart pin;
  • 1 headphone/microphone combo

Definitely it does not have 2  Thunderbolt™ 3 ports. The USB-C above is not fully compatible when using USB-C to HDMI cable.

Manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06618426.pdf

also says on page 2: It has USB 3.2 Gen 2 type-C port which is NOT a  Thunderbolt™ 3 port.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

This is everything copied from the "HP Customer Support Knowledge Base". Is that sufficient?

Product number
1B9F4PA
Product name
HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0048tx
Microprocessor
Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (2.6 GHz base frequency, up to 5 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
Chipset
Intel® HM470
Memory, standard
16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Hard drive
512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Display
15.6" diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, 300 nits, 72% NTSC (1920 x 1080)
Wireless connectivity
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)
Expansion slots
1 microSD media card reader
External ports
2 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 HDMI 2.0a; 1 AC smart pin; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
35.79 x 23.68 x 1.84 cm
Weight
Starting at 2.14 kg
Power supply type
200 W Smart AC power adapter
Battery type
6-cell, 83 Wh Li-ion polymer
Webcam
HP Wide Vision HD camera with camera shutter and integrated dual array digital microphone
Audio features
Audio by Bang & Olufsen; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost 2.0
HP Recommended

@EmuWren48 

Thanks. That is it.

The specs says  it has 2 "Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)"  ports and  Thunderbolt™ 3 to HDMI cables/adapters are not the same. Find out which cable is a nightmare.

All I can say is those two cables are not compatible.  As I said above, finding the right cable/adapter is a nightmare . Please try HP adapters

https://www.amazon.com.au/HP-Adapter-Compatible-Thunderbolt-MacBook/dp/B07PRJY7DN

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.