Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

My laptop seems to think it is plugged in, when it isn't. The light is showing white, and the icon in the bottom right says 'plugged in but not charging' - but the cable isn't plugged in! Not sure when this started, but it's within the last 4 weeks or so. It charges when it's plugged in, but the light won't go off and it constantly thinks it is plugged in.

Also (because it thinks it's plugged in), whenever I try to play a video online, it shows as massively enlarged and in black and white.

HELP! I have no idea what to do - I am also technically-challenged so a 'dummies guide' please! 🐵 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kelly654,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook

Before power resetting your computer, do the following:

1. Disconnect or remove all peripheral devices. Start up the laptop and test the computer by itself, and then reconnect one peripheral device at a time.

2. Turn over the computer and look for a battery compartment door.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Next let's try re-installing the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery 

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”. 
2) Expand “Batteries”. 
3) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
4) Click on “Uninstall”. 
5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver 
6) Shutdown the computer. 
7) Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in. 
8) When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver. 
9) Go to Device Manager. 
10) Expand Batteries. 
11) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software". Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

This document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

If the issue persists, Let's Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.