Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

The Mouse pointer is lagging very much. Applies to both touch pad and mouse.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Hillan, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand you have touchpad issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the mouse pointer is lagging when you use the touchpad on your PC.

Try the steps recommended bleow.

Open Settings and go to Devices > Mouse & touchpad. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Additional mouse options.

The Mouse Properties window will open. Click the tab that lists labeled ELAN or Device Settings, where you'll see your touchpad listed under Devices. Click on the touchpad to select it and then click Enable. 

On the Mouse Properties windows, click the Pointer Options tab and play around with the slider for Select a pointer speed until you find a speed you can work with. You can also speed up or slow down the double-click speed; the slider for this setting can be found on the Buttons tab.

Try uninstalling the touchpad drivers from device manager and install the latest touchpad drivers using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

Also, try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot!

I´m so glad to here that you will try to help me!

First; the "pointer" is is not only lagging when using the touchpad, the same happends when I´m using a external mouse.

Product number: F9V32EA#UUW

And, yes I did hav problems with my HDMI-port not working, so I got help on this side (HP Support). The HDMI now works fine, but the the pointer started to lag. I can not be sure there is a connection, but that is what I beleve. What I did to solve the problem with the HDMI was to follow your advise: 

"....so click on the following link download the graphics driver and try checking if it works.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2032"

There were 3 files to chose from, I did install: "Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2" and, as I said, HDMI now works fine, but...

Hopefull Hillan

HP Recommended

@Hillan, It's great to great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the pointer freezes when you use an external mouse to too.

Did you update the touchpad drivers from HP support assistant?

Try updating the BIOS and touchpad drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager and install the latest touchpad drivers.

Update the BIOS using this link.

Also, update the touchpad drivers from this link.

Let me know if this helps!

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again!

May be this is to complecated for me (I'm in thermodynamics not in the computerbusiness)

In the instruction you sent the other day you asked me to "open settings" but I can't find anything called settings!? therefore I can not find "additional mouse options"either. I also

Then you sent me a link to a article about running a system diagnostic, but that seems clear to refeer to windows 10! Maybe also the "setting" you talk about is something in windows 10? I have Windows 7 32 bit!

Is it really safe to uninstall thethe touchpad? If I do, how can I then cominicate with the computer with no driver at all to the touchpad?

I'm so happy you are trying to help, but I need real "hands on"  windows 7 advice. Please give it another try.

HP Recommended

@Hillan, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Thanks for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you are not sure to find the settings on your PC.

I would suggest you contact HP phone support they should be able to take remote of your PC and reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Also, if you uninstall the touchpad drivers from your PC, plug an external mouse to your PC and reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Link to contact HP.

Hope this helps!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again!

I have installed latest drivers as you suggested but unfortunatly the problem remaind. I also tried different speeds on the pointer, but the problem remained. Then I added  "display pointer trail" and the lagging dissappeared!

I'm happy! Thank you for your patience.

🙂 Hillan

HP Recommended

Hi @Hillan,

I read the post. Thanks for the quick response. As @A4Apollo is out of office, I am responding on his behalf. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am glad that the issue has been taken care of. If @A4Apollo's steps helped, then mark his post as an "Accepted solution" as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos by clicking the "Thumbs up" button for his efforts to help.

Take care and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks! This would have been the last thing I tried, but switching on mouse-trail solved the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi guys

I have just bought a new HP Pavilion 15 CS2055TX and face the same problem

after around 01 hour i found that the external mouse lagging because of power supply  matter of USB port to receiver

When the laptop has 02 usb port on same PCB board, the 5VDC power only enought for 01 USB 3.0 device working with full power

when i connected the external hard drive ( WD my passport ) by usb 3.0 cable, i will use around 4W, then the mouse start being laggy, the working range is only 1 foot from receiver, and not stable aslo

when i changed the usb 3.0 cable by microusb cable ( 2.0), the external drive only uses around 2.5W, and imediately the mouse becomes responsive and stable with full range.

same problem when using  a 2.5" hard drive box or even with a high performance USB stick ( sandisk extreme 64GB)

HP made the laptop with 02 usb type A port only, then there is no other way but using type C port for external hard drive or device that requires high power consumption

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.