Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8770W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Elitebook 8770W with an nVidia Quadro K3000M graphics card and Windows 10 as the OS. I recently got a second monitor and was trying to make a two monitor (and the laptop screen as a third) setup. I used VGA on my old monitor and had a HDMI to DVI cable for the new one. Because my laptop only has VGA and DisplayPort, i got a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I connected everything and it worked fine. But then, i disconnected the signal cables and switched them (moved the VGA to the monitor which previously had the DVI and vice-versa). After that, only whichever monitor was connected via the VGA cable worked. I got another VGA cable and a docking station and connected the monitors using two VGA cables. Still, only the one that I connected using the old cable worked. All cables and ports (in the laptop and the docking station) were tested with other laptops and monitors and they all work. I also tried updating the graphics drivers, making a clean driver installation, uninstalling the graphics drivers from device manager and reinstalling (via Device Manager and manually). Nothing worked. Still, I was only able to connect one monitor (whichever one of the two) using my old VGA cable. Whenever I connect one of the monitors using another cable, it turns on as if it's getting a signal, but then it displays the "no signal" screen and goes into standby. Other monitors work and I even connected two at once (to make sure my laptop could still connect to more that one monitor). Any suggestions? I thought maybe the monitors are the issue, but I can't seem to figure out how.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dani33 

You have to use one digital connection and one analog connection that means

(a) You can use VGA-VGA for older monitor (only a single cable, no adapter/converter),

(b) DP to HDMI (no need an adapter, only one direct cable) to the newer monitor

Which ever way, you have to use one analog and one digital. to have 2 monitors, otherwise it won't work.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer. There's one issue, though. As I mentioned, the first time I connected both monitors (one via VGA and one via DP to HDMI to DVI), they worked. How is that?

P.S. I thought that maybe I didn't remember that correctly, but then I remember I took a picture of the setup and, yes, I'm sure I got it to work in that configuration.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.